Requiem for a Dream ****MAJOR SPOILERS****

Discuss any films, tv shows, and online media in the US and around the globe.
I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Requiem for a Dream ****MAJOR SPOILERS****

#1 Post by I65 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Quote from You Make it Easy "Requiem for a Dream is one of my fav movies, Just curious ITH what didnt you like about it?"

I have to say that the end of the movie really ruined it for me. It was just way too unrealistic. Here are some of the issues that I had with it.

1. Harry shooting up in the hole in his hideously messed up arm. Who would do that? Junkies shoot up between their toes, groin, (even the other arm) many other areas. It just didn't make sense that he shot up in that obviously infected arm.

2. Harry and Tyrone being arrested at the hospital. I'm sorry, but that would never happen. Even if they did arrest them, instead of putting them in rehab, they would have treated Harry's arm before they released him into police custody, thereby more than likely avoiding the amputation.

3. Sara going through electroshock therapy. Again I say no way would any hospital treat amphetimine induced psychosis with electroshock therapy.

4. Marion's sex show. Out of all that I've listed, this may have been the most plausable, but I mean really come on. Within a week she goes from giving a guy a blow job for some drugs, to doing a live sex show for a room full of strangers? That is just too huge of a leap to make, and when it is playing out with all the other unrealistic scenarios above, it has the feeling of some twisted fantasy that wouldn't occur in real life.

I rented this movie because of many posters on IMBD saying what a great film it was. Perhaps I was expecting more from it than what I got. I know that sometimes hype can ruin a good film for some people because they go in with a preconceived notion of how it is going to make them feel. While the whole movie did have a surreal feel to it which was appropriate for the subject, I felt that the points above moved it from surreal to unreal, at least for me.

#2 Post by Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:29 pm

agreed. the most powerful film i've ever seen is probably raging bull, which underplays its sadness.

eg. *SPOILER*

jake asking his brother to forgive him for all the pain he has caused him, and forgiving his brother in turn for betraying him, then sealing it with an awkward embrace

requiem for a dream, IMO, was too forceful and contrived, and in trying to bully a reaction from the audience, conversely undermines its effectiveness. i still love the film because of ellen burstyn's incredible performance (the one that gets it right by being subtle) but, like million dollar baby, is ultimately too melodramatic for its own good. IMO

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#3 Post by silvermoon » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:41 pm

whoops. forgot to log in

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

?

#4 Post by Just Like Honey... » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:12 am

I was thinking of renting this movie tonight (I rented Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind instead, see my rave elsewhere), but when I looked up a review on IMDB it looked nothing like I expected.

I was expecting sort of a low-profile drama-ish kind of film, now I'm left with the impression that it's just another drug dealer movie with too much nothing for its own good (remember poolhall junkies?)

So here's my question...
Do you recommend that I rent this movie?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:17 am

Never saw poolhall junkies. I'm assuming your question was not directed towards me, since my original post made it fairly clear that I didn't like the movie, but in case you didn't read it, my vote would be no...however

Many many people like the movie. I really don't know why though... :?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:44 am

I didn't read it at the risk of spoilers :P
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:07 pm

Ah I see. Well, since noone else has responded to you, I will just say that the ending of the movie ruined it for me, as I found it an unrealistic, overdramatic conclusion to what could have been a great film.

Other (usually much younger than me) veiwers find it to be one of their favorite movies.

Therefore, it is hard for me to know if it is worth your while to watch it. If unrealistic endings don't bother you, you may enjoy it. Up to the last half hour or so, it had some good points to it.

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#8 Post by silvermoon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:51 pm

it is massively overrated on imdb, but it is very stylish, has a brilliant soundtrack, and best of all has a superb performance by ellen burstyn. i would recommend watching it just for that, especially a scene where she delivers a cracking speech. i wouldnt expect a masterpiece, but it does have a masterful performance. just whether you want to watch it for that. one thing; even if you ultimately dont like where it ends up, it's never boring. but trainspotting is much better

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:10 pm

Have to agree Ellen was amazing in this film.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Just Like Honey... » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:05 am

I just finished Requiem for a Dream not five minutes ago through the magic of file-sharing. Yes, I'll agree that the end was a bit farfetched, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have noticed any of those plotholes unless they were pointed out for me, because my right brain took over, and much like the characters, logic wasn't the first thing on my mind. Because of this, these things didn't really ruin the movie for me, because I never noticed them until reading that post (with the possible exception of electroshock therapy... if i'm not mistaken, ECT patients are tranquilized to unconsciousness before the treatment begins)

I can't say anything else right now other the fact that I'm an 18 year old male, and this movie made me cry real tears.

I like this a lot: http://www.flipsidemovies.com/requiemforadream.html

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#11 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:17 pm

I have seen Requiem for a Dream, and believe that the ending was (in my personal opinion) a metaphor of some sort, showing how bad drugs can take over someones life, and what they will do to retrieve more and "sooth themselves." I don't think that Marion's sex show was that unrealisitic she did obviously look very uncomfortable...and I don't know wether it was something "physically" or mentally, I believe it was both, though I don't want to fathom it (no pun intended). Harry was gone so she had no one she could count on to make everything feel better. Her next best alternative...drugs.

I do agree with you about Harry's injection into his already mutilated arm. It did seem sort of unrealistic when you look at it, though you never know what someone would do for an addiction...
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Thing

#12 Post by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:Ah I see.
"I" and "" - too strong for my taste... you should really think about tuning it down a bit.

Greece Hostels Melbourne Guest houses

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Thing

#13 Post by I65 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Ithildriel65 wrote:Ah I see.
"I" and "" - too strong for my taste... you should really think about tuning it down a bit.

Greece Hostels Melbourne Guest houses
lol are you talking to me???ARE YOU TALKING TO ME!!!!

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#14 Post by jml2 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:17 am

I think that Guest is some kind of spam program

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#15 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 pm

heh, they all are. :twisted:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am

I'm not usually one to make substanceless posts, but I just have to acknowledge that that was hilarious.

:lol: