WELCOME To Chapter By Chapter! (Discussion Index)

Discuss Lost In Translation in a more structured way. We follow the DVD chapters and create a new thread for every chapter. This is an ongoing project.
Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

WELCOME To Chapter By Chapter! (Discussion Index)

#1 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi Folks,

Welcome to Chapter By Chapter!

Over the course of the following year, I hope we'll be examining, in the words of Bob_san, the "fabulous" Lost In Translation, in exacting detail. How exacting? As exacting as YOU like. It's totally down to you.

Here's how it works: Every few weeks, a new thread will go up, dedicated to the latest DVD chapter -- i.e. the portion of the film denoted by that chapter number. And there are 24 chapters in all, so that's a lot of discussion!

Here's what you do: Post! That's it. You simply give your opinions of each portion of the film. The chapters are uploaded separately to encourage everyone to congregate towards the same chapter for a brief portion of time, but you can continue to post in any of the other chapter threads. The only thing I need to make clear is that Bob_san or I or somebody delegated by us is responsible for starting each thread. We'll see how it goes with that.

Any and every aspect of Lost In Translation is fair game. You can talk about your personal likes and dislikes (dislikes? pfft! :P ) in a particular chapter, the cinematography, the music, the sound design, the editing, how one chapter relates to another, real life connections -- ANYTHING. Please also feel free to post your own screen captures and any other related material (e.g. location photos, audio interviews, text transcripts) you may have, if and when you feel inclined to do so.

I may be getting a bit carried away here, but I'd like for this to be the most detailed and comprehensive commentary on LIT ever. But that's really down to you guys. To all of us. I'm really grateful that Bob_san has given this idea his approval. It could be a very rewarding experience. In my time, I've seen some good discussions on IMDb, as well as here, at WeAreAwake, but I wanted some way to really focus discussion in a slightly more formal way, rather than letting the loose tendrils of various conversations and debates forever drift apart.

If I have sounded like an overbearing school teacher, I apologise. The bottom line in this is fun. Here's the order of play:

WARM-UP DISCUSSION: DVD Menu/Interface
http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=916

CHAPTER 1: Main Titles
http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=919

CHAPTER 2: Welcome To Tokyo
http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=936

CHAPTER 3: Charlotte Can't Sleep
http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=937

CHAPTER 4: Suntory Time
viewtopic.php?t=941

CHAPTER 5: Charlotte Wanders
Coming Shortly!

CHAPTER 6: Premium Fantasy
CHAPTER 7: The Photo Shoot
CHAPTER 8: Kelly!
CHAPTER 9: Jet Lag
CHAPTER 10: Drinks With Kelly
CHAPTER 11: Night Out With Charlie
CHAPTER 12: Karaoke Time
CHAPTER 13: Calling Home
CHAPTER 14: Black Toe
CHAPTER 15: The Hospital
CHAPTER 16: Are You Awake?
CHAPTER 17: Kyoto
CHAPTER 18: Matthew's Best Hit TV
CHAPTER 19: The Jazz Singer
CHAPTER 20: The Worst Lunch
CHAPTER 21: Fire Alarm
CHAPTER 22: So This Is Goodbye
CHAPTER 23: Hey, You!
CHAPTER 24: End Titles
BONUS DISCUSSION: DVD Extras And Deleted Scenes

I hope that this basic list is to everyone's satisfaction. I thought I'd bookend our discussion of the film with the DVD stuff for completion's sake. I'll pencil in dates for the different chapters (i.e. when we plan to post those chapters) as and when we decide. It sorta depends on the scale of the response to this thing.

If anyone has any feedback, don't hesitate to let us know: http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=909 One thing that's already emerged from that thread is the idea of a "wiki". It may be possible to create one for this site, maybe even in parallel with the Chapter By Chapter discussion that's now underway.

I think that about covers it. OK, it's Suntory time...!
Last edited by Cryogenic on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Excellent graphic and I really like this type of discussion topic idea!

Although given the light traffic here, a new discussion topic might pop up every 30 days depending instead of 7 to 10. . . . :?: :idea:

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#3 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Bob_san wrote:Excellent graphic and I really like this type of discussion topic idea!

Although given the light traffic here, a new discussion topic might pop up every 30 days depending instead of 7 to 10. . . . :?: :idea:
You could be onto something there, Bob!

Sadly!

I was slightly late in posting the first chapter.

I guess I was hoping for some feedback in the "Warm-Up" discussion first. A little has trickled in the past few days.

Anyway, no matter. Chapter 1 is up!

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#4 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Sorry, guys.

I kinda flaked on this. The turn-out has been a little disappointing.

But I think we have a contingent of members that want to contribute, right?

I'm putting up Chapter 2 in the next 24 hours. Chapter 3 isn't too far behind.

I will definitely post the chapters with regularity, from here on in.

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#5 Post by Cryogenic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:13 am

Chapter 2 is now available.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bob_san » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:16 am

Excellent!!!

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#7 Post by Cryogenic » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:57 pm

CHAPTER 3 .... it'll be here in the next 24 hours!

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#8 Post by Cryogenic » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:17 pm

CHAPTER 3 is a Go-Go!

hannidan
Tokyo Insomniac

#9 Post by hannidan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Sorry, guys.

I kinda flaked on this. The turn-out has been a little disappointing.

But I think we have a contingent of members that want to contribute, right?

Cryogenic, for my part I'm thoroughly enjoying your chapter expansions. After spending plenty of time on this forum and watching the movie about a zillion times I'd like to think I'm pretty much up to speed, however, your posts always bring out angles that have never occurred to me.

I know it sounds like a cop-out but after reading what you've got to say there is nothing for me to add except a sincere thank-you.

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#10 Post by Cryogenic » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the support, hannidan. 8)

There is a low response to this thing, in terms of numbers, which is disappointing. On the other hand, those that do respond are full of enthusiasm and good insights.

In light of the small response that the CBC discussions *are* getting, as well as very generous comments from people such as yourself, I am going to resume once more, and wish to offer another apology for the long delay.

Since so much time has elapsed between this message and the last chapter, after I promised to be punctual, I'm going to do a "two for the price of one". That's right: I'm going to post two chapters at once, which might also encourage a bit of variety. I'm breaking my own rules, but I make 'em so I can break 'em, right? :lol:

Look out for Chapters 4 and 5 very shortly. I should have them up by the close of tomorrow night.

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#11 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:56 pm

OK, we're back!

Somehow, September-the-20-something merged into October-the-20-something, but Chapter 4 is finally up!

I don't want to make any promises about Chapter 5. I kept putting off Chapter 4 because I had a writer's block -- and, well, it intimidated me. However, I can't imagine Chapter 5 being much of a bitch to write by comparison, so I'm going to get cracking on it and hopefully post it in the next few days. Yeah, famous last words! Keep a look-out. In the meantime, get stuck in to Chapter 4! 8)

nathan
Sleepless in Tokyo

#12 Post by nathan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 am

any chance of keeping this going? i think you stopped updating before i was even a member but i would like to take part.

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#13 Post by Cryogenic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am

Nathan, this is going to sound so arrogant and false, but ...

Your wish is my command!

Yeah, very rich -- since I haven't done anything on this in over a year. A YEAR!! The whole thing was meant to be finished by now. *sigh*

Since the Blu-ray has come out, I think it might inspire some fresh discussion. I don't have the Blu-ray yet, and for consistency, I'll stick with the DVD in here. I am not sure what difference it will make (if any)? How is the chapter layout on the Blu-ray? I hope it's unchanged.

In short, then, I am working on some new chapter analyses and will post them in the next few weeks. Despite the fact that this has thing has horribly lagged, I would like to get it all finished, ultimately. Then at least all the chapters will be up. Just for posterity. Whether people comment or not. It's nice to know I might still have a few takers. 8)

Well, you're not an idiot; and even if an idiot were to come in and read this thread, they'd see I've already said X or Y and not met the target. Thus, I will not post ANYTHING in here -- not a scrap! -- UNTIL I have DEFINITELY, WHOLLY AND ABSOLUTELY written at least four more chapters. They won't be uploaded at once, but they will be uploaded in quick succession (about a week between each one), and when the first one appears, you'll KNOW the others will be coming.

That's about as good a promise as I can give. I've really got my groove back for LIT of late and it's high time I got this train moving again. I do not want this project languishing unfinished. I want it done. Done, done and done! So please .... watch this space. The wheels are turning once more!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bob_san » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 am

Cryogenic, that will be cool and looking forward to reading and thinking about them when you get your groove back! :D

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#15 Post by Cryogenic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Oh, it's back, Bob, it's back! I'm breaking my self-imposed rule about not posting in this section till the next chapter is up. There's a new discovery I am just adding to "Main Titles" ... Always more to learn! Remember, people: post in the existing threads all you like!