Shawn Mendes music video tribute to LIT!!! Lost In Japan

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Bob_san
Site Admin

Shawn Mendes music video tribute to LIT!!! Lost In Japan

#1 Post by Bob_san » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:22 pm

I found out about this from a footnote in the new LIT book by Suzanne Ferriss! I searched the site and as far as I can see no one else has posted this.
In the book she talks about the popularity of the film with a new generation of young people seeing it for the first time.
Back in 2018, apparently, Shawn Mendes shot a music video for his song "Lost In Japan" which is almost a shot for shot (the main shots) version of LIT!!!
Whether you like his music or not this is worth a watch!
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/SAWzXkV3hHo

There is also a remix version of the song and video here. It's mostly the karaoke scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_mcVlcVII

I've watched both a number of times now.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

Re: Shawn Mendes music video tribute to LIT!!! Lost In Japan

#2 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:39 pm

Wow, nice find. They took a lot of care to make the shots as close as possible including using what look like the original locations (Park Hyatt, the Karaoke place).

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

Re: Shawn Mendes music video tribute to LIT!!! Lost In Japan

#3 Post by redleader74 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:38 pm

Wow, this is crazy amazing! I've never listened to his music before (I'm hopelessly out of touch with current pop culture, and by current, really anything wthin the past 20-25 years!), the only reason why I even know the name is because a couple years back I saw his name on a marquee in front of an event venue. The care in following the original sequences is impressive, with modern and creative touches (for example, the Lyft jaguar vs. traditional taxi cab). Since I'm in the office I only watched the first few scenes and with the sound off. I'll enjoy the whole thing later tonight over a class of Suntory.

Although, I can't tell if that really is the Park Hyatt Tokyo...are there any tell tale signs that it is?

I wonder how many of his fan base' generation realizes this music video is copied from a movie? And hopefully it might bring in a new generation of LiT fans. :D
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。