Interesting post from imdb.com

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

Interesting post from imdb.com

#1 Post by Congruous » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:27 pm

I saw this post today at imdb. It's an interesting take on something we talk about over and over. If you want to read the whole thread, its title is something like, "Don't you want to SLAP..."

"I sense that a major attraction of this movie is that we see intimacy and trust and the sheer joy of being with someone you adore. Not a middle aged man lusting for a hot young chick. Not the stupid tired cliches and theatrics and manufactured confrontations of Julia Roberts Romantic Comedy Type 27B.

"Notice how their attraction is never explicitly steered away from a sexual dimension. Charlotte jokes about Bob being in a mid-life crisis when they first talk. She jokes about him getting the Porsche. She says nothing about or against the "affair with hot young chick" (such as her) aspect of mid life crisis. She is not setting a barrier. When Bob talks about his family he talks about his love for his children, but he also talks about how used they are to his being away (major objection to divorce dispensed with. his children don't need him daily) and how his wife doesn't need him emotionally (which we heard in her annoyance in the phone conversation). The point is that their attraction is so deep that they realize that they cannot have a "quick fling". Bob can have a quickie with a lounge singer he cares nothing about, but not with Charlotte.

"Charlotte is an old soul. The saturnine temperament is geared towards middle age so people like her when young just plain do not fit in among other young people. We see that she does not fit in among her husband's cool friends (as he sits there desparately hoping that she will keep her overeducated mouth shut). There is no age barrier because Charlotte is middle aged in her heart."

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Interesting post from imdb.com

#2 Post by jm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:08 pm

"[quote:a614eb7378="SomeIMDBPersonage"]Notice how their attraction is never explicitly steered away from a sexual dimension. Charlotte jokes about Bob being in a mid-life crisis when they first talk. She jokes about him getting the Porsche. She says nothing about or against the "affair with hot young chick" (such as her) aspect of mid life crisis. She is not setting a barrier. When Bob talks about his family he talks about his love for his children, but he also talks about how used they are to his being away (major objection to divorce dispensed with. his children don't need him daily) and how his wife doesn't need him emotionally (which we heard in her annoyance in the phone conversation). The point is that their attraction is so deep that they realize that they cannot have a "quick fling". Bob can have a quickie with a lounge singer he cares nothing about, but not with Charlotte. [/quote:a614eb7378]
I believe that I don't agree at all about this sexuality thing, but it's too unclear for me to be quite sure."