A nice thread from imdb.com

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

A nice thread from imdb.com

#1 Post by Congruous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Comparing the ending of "Casablanca" with that of "LIT" is indeed a compliment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/boa ... 6#34672426
"Are there no more arrows left?"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: A nice thread from imdb.com

#2 Post by jm » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:22 pm

"[quote:360f3fc59a="Congruous"]Comparing the ending of "Casablanca" with that of "LIT" is indeed a compliment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/boa ... 6#34672426[/quote:360f3fc59a]
I'm not registered and can't read it."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Okay, here's the original post:

Don't read this if you haven't seen the film. Yes...I will go so far as to say that the ending of "Lost in Translation", is as powerful as the ending of "Casablanca." I have just watched this film 8 straight nights in a row after midnight. Which I have never done before with any film in my life. And I'm 44 and a major film enthusiast. I watched it by myself and just studied the pacing, the dialog the photography etc. It's a better watch alone with no distractions.

That final scene, where Murray looks to see Scarlett walking away in the distance of a Tokyo street faire and rolls down the window of his limo and hears the sounds of the street...just haunts me.....When he approaches her, holds her in place stares at her, then hugs her and she breaks down and begins to weep...oh man...sooooooo moving. The fact that Sofia takes the chance to omit the content of Murrays whisper to Scarlett and allow us to place our own expectations on what Murray says to her, won Sofia the Oscar.

Will they meet again? Same time same place? Did he tell her how to contact him back in the States? Did he tell her that everything would be fine and work out with her husband? Did he thank her for thier time together? Who knows...Thats the mysterious beauty of it.

Decades from now , people will watch that ending like we watch "Casablanca" and an "Affair to remember" today. For those who don't get it or can't understand it? Don't worry you'll never know what you are missing anyway. Because you have a thick skin. This movie is for those who are dreamers, those who "feel" music and are hopeless romantics. If you aren't a sensitive old soul it will bounce right off your hide. What a loss....for you.

#4 Post by Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:53 pm

Inappropriate post for this forum deleted. - Bob

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by jm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:48 am

"[quote:5746b118ff="Congruous"]Don't read this if you haven't seen the film. Yes...I will go so far as to say that the ending of "Lost in Translation", is as powerful as the ending of "Casablanca."[/quote:5746b118ff]
Good stuff, though I find Bogart's reported dislike of Bergman pretty well ruins Casablanca for me."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Just remember that I didn't write that post. I just posted the link.