Scarlet makes number 3

Items specifically about Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, etc. Discuss!

Moderator: Bob

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

Scarlet makes number 3

#1 Post by Ithildriel » Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 pm

In the Maxim hot 100

Topped by number 2 Jessica Alba

(slightly risque so I'll just post a link)

http://www.torontopics.com/max/maxim2alba.jpg

and number 1 Lindsey Lohan

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by 52FM » Wed May 30, 2007 5:05 pm

A local pop culture writer in the Tribune commented on this by saying "who knew train wrecks were hot?" (referring to Lindsay Lohan).

I was asked lately who my top five movie stars were in pure attraction (I took it to mean overall - physical beauty and some sort of "something".)

It was tough becuase the pop tarts are thrown at us in the media and I find most very unappealing despite any physical beuty or appeal they may have.

My list - after much thought - which hit all over the place for various reasons (and I could not narrow to 5):
Diane Keaton
Famke Jansen
Jenniffer Connelly
Annette Benning
Halle Berry
Scarlett Johannson

I was asked why after all the older actresses I had Scarlett on the list - I probably should have kept her on my "silent" list because I started to stammer a bit in trying to explain and then said - "it's a very long story". "How long?" "Almost 20 years", I said. They said "but she's barely 20 years old - do you know her or something?" Finally I had to excuse myself and apologize for sounding vague and mysterious.

Scarlett will always mean something to me personally because her acting with Bill is certainly a part of why I recognized why I was unsettled.

But Diane Keaton is the epitome of how to age beautifully and gracefully!

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by Tombo » Wed May 30, 2007 6:37 pm

What?

No Jessica Biel? :shock:

Tom xx

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#4 Post by Ithildriel » Wed May 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Tombo wrote:What?

No Jessica Biel? :shock:

Tom xx
She made number 5.

http://www.torontopics.com/max/maxim5biel.jpg

http://www.torontopics.com/digital/maxim100.html

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#5 Post by Ithildriel » Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 pm

52FM wrote:A local pop culture writer in the Tribune commented on this by saying "who knew train wrecks were hot?" (referring to Lindsay Lohan).

I was asked lately who my top five movie stars were in pure attraction (I took it to mean overall - physical beauty and some sort of "something".)

It was tough becuase the pop tarts are thrown at us in the media and I find most very unappealing despite any physical beuty or appeal they may have.

My list - after much thought - which hit all over the place for various reasons (and I could not narrow to 5):
Diane Keaton
Famke Jansen
Jenniffer Connelly
Annette Benning
Halle Berry
Scarlett Johannson

I was asked why after all the older actresses I had Scarlett on the list - I probably should have kept her on my "silent" list because I started to stammer a bit in trying to explain and then said - "it's a very long story". "How long?" "Almost 20 years", I said. They said "but she's barely 20 years old - do you know her or something?" Finally I had to excuse myself and apologize for sounding vague and mysterious.

Scarlett will always mean something to me personally because her acting with Bill is certainly a part of why I recognized why I was unsettled.

But Diane Keaton is the epitome of how to age beautifully and gracefully!
I had to look up Famke Jansen...

52, I had no idea! :shock: :lol:

Something about Jennifer Connelly unnerves me a bit. I can't quite put my finger on it.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by 52FM » Thu May 31, 2007 10:21 am

The image didn't show up so I'm not sure what picture of her you're referrign to. I never saw her outside of her X-Men role.

I have to (reluctantly) admit that most of my attraction (if it really is an attraction) to actresses come from the roles I think of them in and not who they really are. So it's difficult for me to think of Scarlet as anyone but Charlotte or Griet (sp?).

So to me Jenniffer Connelly is embedded in my mind as her portrayal of Alicia Nash. I relate far more to the movie than I would publicaly admit - and even though there are DRASTIC differences in the movie to Nash's real life, I found myself realting to him even more once I read his (VERY well written) biography.

Diane Keaton and Halle Berry speak for themselves. (But I will never forget seeing Halle in a movie the first time. I took my kids to see the Flintstones and she played a secretary trying to seduce Fred. My internal reaction to that scene left me feeling very uncomfortable knowing my kids were sitting right there.)

Annette Benning to me is her character in An American President.

And Famke Jansen did an incredible job of portraying Dr. Jean Grey in the X-Men series. An attractive and very intelligent woman fulfills my "Whores of Mensa" fantasy. (That's an old Woody Allen short story that I think is hysterical.) That fantasy is sitting with a very attractive woman discussing statistics or mathematics at some high level. (Yeah - I'm weird. The sad fact is, I'm not really kidding.)

On the other hand - you have Jessica Alba hopelessly miscast as Sue Storm/Richards - supposedly a scientist and about as believable as I would be playing Rambo.

At one level or another all these women to me portray a certain intellectual maturity in their beauty (even if it's only in the roles they played and not in real life). The pop tarts that Maxim readers find so hot tend to almost repulse me.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Pockets » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm still learning to appreciate Diane Keaton. The first movie that I really enjoyed her in was with Jack Nicholson in Something's Gotta Give. I never liked her in Annie Hall.

Some actresses that I thought were both beautiful, talented and with that magical inner fire would be Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn... which dates my generation. And I like Rene Russo alot, I thought she was fabulous in The Thomas Crown Affair. There are more of course, but most times I view a good movie as a whole ensemble of the cast talent and don't pick out any one actor or actress for their looks.

Oh yes, and I loved Joan Chen in Saving Face (2003), but I wasn't all that impressed with her performance and presence in her earlier works of The Last Emperor and in the Twin Peaks series.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:33 am

Maggie Gyllenhaal (especially as Ana Pascal in Stranger than Fiction). I think I fell in love that day.. :wink:
...and Maria Bello.. she is adorable.

I know some of you are thinking this may be from 'World Trade Center' (since they are both in it accoriding to IMDB), but I haven't seen that movie. If anyone has seen it, let me know how it is.

AND Julie Delpi is such a babe :mrgreen: ..I could do this all day.

52fm wrote:That fantasy is sitting with a very attractive woman discussing statistics or mathematics at some high level.
Hey 52, maybe you would like Kim Krizan, if you ever heard of her. She co-wrote "Before Sunrise" with Richard Linklater. Intellectualism is so hot :P .
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Pockets » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 am

52FM wrote:That fantasy is sitting with a very attractive woman discussing statistics or mathematics at some high level. (Yeah - I'm weird. The sad fact is, I'm not really kidding.)

At one level or another all these women to me portray a certain intellectual maturity in their beauty (even if it's only in the roles they played and not in real life).
52FM - Have you seen Proof yet? It's been on cable lately. I thought Gwyneth Paltrow excellent in the movie as was Anthony Hopkins.

I suppose for the same reason as you, I really like Jodie Foster in her movies. She always comes across as so intelligent, plus she keeps in fabulous toned shape (for her age). Flightplan was really good.

I like Michelle Yeoh a lot, beautiful and lots of talent there. Trained as a ballet dancer, was Miss Malaysia, (I think that she survived a bad back injury along the way), one of the few actresses that Jackie Chan lets do her own stunts, now dating a member of the Ferrari F1 team... And I should add in Angelina Jolie too for being a good actress and also for the good work she does for the UN off screen.

I still not impressed with Miss Johansen, but will keep re-evaluating her
as her career continues.
The pop tarts that Maxim readers find so hot tend to almost repulse me.
It's a shame that in this day and age, talented women are not as highly regarded if they are not model perfect and in their early 20's. It's like our culture has taken steps backwards from the 60's and 70's. Give me Janis Joplin, not Britney Spears!

My boyfriend thinks much like you. He argues with other men all the time about the appeal of hot looking famous celebrities. He is one of the few men I know that would refuse to sleep with someone like Scarlett Johansen or any other hottie actress if given the chance. My bf also is keen on his women being very intelligent and well-spoken. Last week, at the funeral we went to, he was very upset that his 20 year old younger sister is such a shallow airheaded blonde. We hope that she eventually matures into a better person.

Anyone else see the movie Tadpole? In the beginning of the movie, the college age Oscar has a fellow female student flirting with him on the train ride home during school break. She is pretty, but he is clearly not interested in her. She hints at having girlfriends and his travelling buddy is frustrated that Oscar has no interest in pursuing the friendship. When asked why he is not attracted to her, he sputters out... "but she has the hands of a child!"

If I had to pick an attractive actor to have dinner with, it would either be Anthony Hopkins (his current wife is an antique dealer!) or George Clooney. With Clooney, I think him very well-spoken on the subject of politics. No to Brad Pitt because he smokes.

Congruous
Suntory Time

Re: Scarlet makes number 3

#10 Post by Congruous » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Ithildriel wrote: and number 1 Lindsey Lohan
Lohan #1?
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#11 Post by Tombo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:09 pm

Congruous wrote:
Lohan #1?
That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. :?

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#12 Post by Ithildriel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:23 pm

Tombo wrote:
Congruous wrote:
Lohan #1?
That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. :?
Me either. I'm in no position to ridicule someone else's physical attributes, but how does someone like her make number one?

She is shaped like a little boy with breasts.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Congruous » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Lohan isn't skanky, but she is working hard to get there.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#14 Post by Tombo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Wow...what a classy picture!

Lohan's a good actor (judging by 'Bobby',which is the only thing I've seen her in,apart from The National Enquirer),but why is it that good actresses feel compelled to appear half-naked like that?
Biel seems to be the exception-she always seems to have a sense of decorum... 8)

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#15 Post by Suntory » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Ithildriel wrote:She is shaped like a little boy with breasts.
Heroin chic still rules fashion.

Yuck!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Pockets » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't think that Maxim's demographics are similar to the LiT board's tastes. Their readership is a targeted 17-34 male audience.

Anyway, found some other beautiful women lists (some made in reaction to Maxim's), but it's a rare magazine these days that DON"T have an annual beautiful women listing. And I'd like see these lists have a minimum age of 25 for who gets picked.:

http://www.afterellen.com/blog/scribegr ... -aesthetic
http://www.afterellen.com/people/2007/6 ... page=0%2C0
http://www.people.com/people/package/ga ... 60,00.html

And I love this list... the most beautiful women over 40!

http://bix.yahoo.com/contest/6892

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#17 Post by Suntory » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:37 am

Angelina Jolie - too skinny.

On one person's list a nice pic of Scarlett and:
Karman's list:
Scarlett Johansson
Again, Scarlett #1!
And I love this list... the most beautiful women over 40!
http://bix.yahoo.com/contest/6892
Salma Hayek is definitely the hottest of the over 40 hotties!
Spanish/latin women look normal, they don't subscribe to the
thin as a rail esthetic.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 am

We all know this already, but she's #1 because that's how Maxim and FHM and all the celebrity neo-smut magazines will make the most money, by having her picture on the cover next to a big '#1'.
Pockets wrote:Their readership is a targeted 17-34 male audience.
COUGH ;)

Maybe primarily, but I used to be in the business of selling these things (not just Maxim) and you'd be surprised how many young women like to get subscriptions to their boyfriends/husbands just so they can read them when they're done.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#19 Post by jml98 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:16 am

ironically, a trait of Lohan's that adults are disgusted by - her partying - is exactly what guys find attractive. College guys, which are maxim's target audience, LIKE girls who party hard and drink a lot; it's APPEALING to many college guys.

btw, this entire thread makes me feel like I'm at a dinner table at a frat. You have know idea how serious I am.

For the record, I think Lohan, when sober and properly airbrushed and made up, is hot, but she shouldnt' be number 1.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#20 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20 pm

jml98 wrote:ironically, a trait of Lohan's that adults are disgusted by - her partying - is exactly what guys find attractive.
That makes my brain want to melt into a viscous goo.