Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#21 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 am

johnmonkey wrote:Given the awards and nominations reaped by LIT, I think "getting none" is overstating it a bit.
When did I ever say that LIT got no awards? I said too many truly great films like LIT got none. I was only saying that LIT was a truly great film.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#22 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue May 16, 2006 5:48 pm

johnmonkey, Beery wrote:Sunshine was crap.
Bah.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#23 Post by hull_street » Tue May 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Beery wrote:I agree with the person who rated this alongside the awful and pretentious 'Memento'.
Humbug.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#24 Post by I65 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:18 pm

I love this film. ESOTSM changed my life.

dbm
Traveler

#25 Post by dbm » Fri May 19, 2006 12:34 pm

Beery wrote:I bought the DVD for 'Eternal Sunshine' purely on the basis of its reviews, and was more than a little disappointed. I didn't like the characters and it seemed to me that they went out of their way to make the worst possible choices in every situation. I dragged myself through 2/3rds of the film and I've never bothered to watch the rest. I don't know and don't care what happened to these bozos. I agree with the person who rated this alongside the awful and pretentious 'Memento'. There are too many mediocre films getting too much credit, and too many truly great films (like LIT) getting none.
I agree. I didn't like the characters at all. I thought the story was overcomplicated. All in all, I think it's over-rated.

I've only seen it once though, may give it a second watch sometime.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#26 Post by Congruous » Fri May 19, 2006 2:36 pm

I enjoyed "Eternal Sunshine" and have watched it a number of times. I do feel that "LiT" is much better.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#27 Post by burgundy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:10 pm

I just saw Eternal Sunshine. Great movie. Not in the same class as LIT, but provocative and interesting, if a little frantic and gimmicky at times. I found both characters sympathetic. Joel is an introvert -- I can relate to that. Clementine is a bit kooky and impulsive. Maybe those are classic male female stereotypes but the romance works for me.

I would have wished the film had avoided the excesses of dream-state and focus on the characters in more conventional exposition but what can you do? This is how the filmmakers wanted to do it. I'm glad I saw it. It made me think.

I find it interesting that some people don't like it or Memento. Memento was original and brilliant IMO. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

It's heartening that Eternal Sunshine has developed a huge following and it ranked in the top 100 films of all time. Maybe LIT can work its way up there as well.
With intensity.