Cool News on The Life Aquatic

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Cool News on The Life Aquatic

#1 Post by phillygalinutah » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:43 pm

There are four reactions posted on an advance viewing of TLA at the
Arclight theater in LA. WoW! How does someone hear about these
advance movie viewings??!

Check it out at: http://www.aintitcool.com/

and then on the left side type under the Keyword Search heading,
type, The Life Aquatic.

The reviews were positive, awesome and quote, "OMIGOD, Bill IS a
god!" 8)

William Devoe, who I last recall as the creepy vampire in
Nostradamus", is critiqued as funny as Bill's genius character. Look
forward to seeing him too. Anjelica Hustom is identified as Bill's
sister, not wife (?). Is she his wife or sister, hmm.?

December seems SOOO far away; kinda like that anticipation that
Santa will never arrive on Christmas day!

Enjoy! Be Murray! :lol:

catherine

roman

#2 Post by catherine » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:16 pm

her brother roman is shooting second unit on the life aquatic

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by phillygalinutah » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:35 pm

Cool network Bill has 8) !

I heard bad news :cry: that TLA's Dec date release has been removed from movie release sites.

Anyone know more details/

#4 Post by Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:18 am

Can anyone post a summary of what this movie is about and who is in it?!
I never even heard of it!

thanks!

BigonBill

Info on "The Life Aquatic"

#5 Post by BigonBill » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:38 am

Go to IMDB board for this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362270/

It gives a brief summary plus list all the actors/their characters in this Wes Anderson movie.

Has a member board too! :wink:

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: What's "The Life Aquatic" About?

#6 Post by phillygalinutah » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:46 am

Bob,
Hope this helps. :D It's another moviegoer's reaction to an advance viewing of Bill's upcoming movie (hopefully it'll release in Dec 04). No spoilers here.

I pasted it from aintitcoolnews.com

"The Life Aquatic

All of Wes Anderson’s movies are great, and "The Life Aquatic" is my favorite to date – mostly because Anderson has finally situated centerstage longtime collaborator and comedy ubergenius Bill Murray.

Murray is a riot as Steve Zissou, a vain, disreputable American version of Jacques Cousteau who makes self-important, vaguely fraudulent documentaries about his own underwater adventuring. Zissou is out to revive his career by confronting the aquatic monster that lunched on Zissou’s elderly partner. Along the way, there are semi-unanticipated obstacles.

The underlying sadness one always associates with Anderson’s films still lurks, but this boasts the silliest comedy of any of the director’s efforts to date. Silly films are good if they’re funny, and, make no mistake, “The Life Aquatic” is fricking hilarious.

The film constitues an absolute career peak for Willem DaFoe, who seems to be rapidly morphing into David Letterman’s old recurring sidekick Brother Theodore. DaFoe has never been, and almost certainly will never be, as entertaining as he is as Klaus Daimler, Zissou’s relentlessly insecure German second-in-command.

Even beyond Zissou and Daimler, the film contains inspired characters numerous enough to fill four or five movies. I particularly enjoyed the always-reliable Jeff Goldblum, very funny as Zissou’s oblivious and much-better-financed oceanographic and romantic rival. Cate Blanchett has never been cuter as the skeptical and disparaging journalist Zissou covets. Owen Wilson pulls many a sneaky laugh out of Ned Plympton, an adoring Zissou fan who may actually be the filmmaker’s son.

Much (most?) of the film unfurls as a Zissou-made documentary, allowing for unusually propulsive pacing, agreeably abrupt transitions and much hilarious captioning.
Longtime Anderson fans will enjoy “Bottle Rocket” flashbacks as Zissou turns clumsy action hero at key junctures. The beach-storming sequences suggest what “Charlie’s Angels” might have been like had Bosley been dispatched to do all the rescuing.

Per Anderson tradition, the music is wonderful, particularly the Devo tune that accompanies one extremely gratifyingly comic montage.

"Life Aquatic" is another one I'm keen to see again, like now, but it won't have a proper run in cinemas until year's end.
****1/2" 8)