Somewhere (2010)

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

#21 Post by Pitman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I liked it. Yes, similar theme. The opening scene really sums it up. This man, Johnny Marco, approaching his mid years is very successful (like Bob was) in Hollywood and he's driving a nice Ferrari on a short round track going around and around and around. The scene is prolonged and you get the sense, even though you don't know who is in the car, that he/she is just bored with life. He's got this amazing, hot car and he's just driving it in circles. That's a great metaphor for having the gift of life in general and just not appreciating it. It was a fitting opening indeed.

Where the movie lacks for me, which LiT did not, was that Somewhere was really about one person, whereas LiT was about 2 people. The daughter was only written into the movie to further Johnny's character. It was all about him. The daughter wasn't really important as a character in the movie - in my opinion.

I may watch it again down the road, but it doesn't come close to LiT.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#22 Post by Bob_san » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 am

Interesting points about this film (I haven't seen it but I saw the trailer). In both films we have a relationship between an older man and younger girl/woman. I am wondering if Sofia uses these stories to explore her relationship with her father (and father-like figures)?