New EP inspired by the movie LiT

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

New EP inspired by the movie LiT

#1 Post by Pitman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:01 am

Hey guys, I'm an old forum member, going back many years. Haven't been here in a while. I still watch the movie on a yearly basis. Still in love with the characters. So much so, I just released a 3 track EP called In Translation which was inspired by this wonderful movie.

Please visit Bandcamp and have a listen and click on follow to get alerts of future releases.

http://watamuze.bandcamp.com/album/in-translation

Bob_san
Site Admin

Re: New EP inspired by the movie LiT

#2 Post by Bob_san » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Wow that's really good! Thanks for letting us know. :)

MoreThanThisToo
Traveler

#3 Post by MoreThanThisToo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 pm

What a lovely effort and tribute.

I’ve listened to all 3 tracks a few times, now. Initially, I wasn’t a big fan (aside from the LiT connection), but they have grown on me a bit.

I thought the most helpful thing I could do was give constructive feedback - it’s something I always seek. Please feel free to disregard all of my opinions - I don’t create or critique music in any professional capacity. Just trying to be helpful!

The piano is too present in the first half of Brighter Bigger at times, overtaking vocals when it shouldn’t.

Piano tune feels overcomplicated at times in Brighter Bigger and Ghost in Tokyo. Saying that, it feels like another instrument is missing from the ensemble In Brighter Bigger and I’m not sure what.

The lyrics feel uncomfortably forced/clunky in places in I Will Tell You Now, but then they feel a bit short on detail (given you’ve gone for “telling a story”).

Some of instrumental transitions are a bit abrupt and jarring in all 3 songs.

It feels like you’re following a formula with all 3 songs. It has an artificial/generic aftertaste. I can’t quite find your “signature“.
"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less .. you let things upset you."

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#4 Post by Suntory » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm

I listened to the songs and Pitman's other songs also on the album Undoing Time on Bandcamp which are different.
I'm glad Pitman was inspired to do this and share it with us!

Here is my impression which is different than MoreThanThisToo but that's OK of course because we all have different reactions to art like music. :)

To me the songs convey the theme/environment/mood of LIT using a sound similar to Phoenix (in general not just the song from LIT). It's kind of similar but not the same.
They're meant to be a continuation and extension of that LIT sound and feeling without being a clone.
And clearly if he wanted to from listening to Undoing Time, Pitman could change things up, have a different sound. But that's not what this is about.
I like the songs, I like the mix, I think it's a good mix and balance of instruments and voice and at different points different instruments become the focus.
I really like the rhythm guitar interlude in Ghost in Tokyo.
Also as a listener I don't focus on lyrics so I can't really comment on that.
My brain processes and hears the voice as just another instrument in the mix.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pitman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks for taking the time to listen and posting your comments!

Suntory, the lyrics are there also if you wanted to read along. But I'm the same way when listening too!

Pitman
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pitman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:26 pm

The first song was originally posted with fan video on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q32wv6IIsiI

Incidentally, it was banned in Italy. :)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bob_san » Fri May 19, 2023 12:52 am

Hey, so Pitman, I went on Bandcamp not long ago and finally bought it! I'd been meaning to (time flies when you're procrastinating :shock: )!
I had gotten back on there as I got some songs from another band I am following and I went back and checked out your albums.
I like the new one, Nami. I'll probably get some other songs.

I see on the first one you wrote on the cover that you sing and perform all the instruments. That's quite impressive!
Do you know any musicians who could play though if you played out at a club or something? Have you thought about it?
I don't live in Canada but if I did I would go!