the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Emma
Stocking Lipper

Re: the Introduce Yourself thread

#141 Post by Emma » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before now, but here we go ... :)

Hi there! As you can see by my username, my name is Emma. I am midway to my mid-thirties and work as a travel agent in Southern California. While I am passionate about film as a whole, Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation has been my very favorite for several years. I rented it on DVD many years ago with a vague idea that it took place in Japan, and that would relieve my rampant wanderlust. Little did I know ... that vague inkling would take root among the dreamy lights of Tokyo, lonely Charlotte, tired Bob, and their beautiful connection. <3 Many people I encounter offline dismiss the film as being "boring" or "weird," so there is a real comfort here among fellow fans!

Now ... My darkest secret: Of Bill Burray's Lost in Translation and Garfield, I decided to see Garfield in theaters. My former boyfriend was an animator on the film, and I watched it to support his work. For reasons still not known to me, Lost in Translation never crossed my radar during its original theatrical release! :( I hope one day to see it re-released in theaters ... Maybe for a twentieth anniversary?

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#142 Post by redleader74 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Emma wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:20 pm
<3 Many people I encounter offline dismiss the film as being "boring" or "weird," so there is a real comfort here among fellow fans!
Yes, most people I've known think this movie is incredibly lame and boring. I think with all art or forms of artistic expression, it's highly subjective on the part of the viewer. Where you are at in life at the very time that you see the movie can make all the difference between loving it and hating it. I originally like the movie for it's escapist themes, because it was set in place (Japan) that I'd never been to and never thought of going to but is so wildly different than where I'm from as to feel like it's on a different planet, and because the story had so little to do with my own life at the time. Over time, as I started to travel more and developed acute wanderlust, I really wanted to "get lost" in the same way the characters in the movie did. In a way, because the movie was never a huge "blockbuster hit" and has instead developed such a loyal cult following, this website has also become a form of escape and way to "get lost" all over again (my other favorite movie of all time is John Favreau and Vince Vaughn's (a VERY young Favreau/Vaughn I might add!) 1996 budget cult hit "Swingers").

I'm new to this forum but have followed it for a couple of years now and have thoroughly enjoyed the stories how of immersive and committed some of our fan activities have been. I finally went to Japan in fall of 2016 and stayed at the Park Hyatt and it was a trip I will never forget, ever. It was clearly a trip in which I can hardly think of a part I didn't like or which didn't have great meaning to me.
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#143 Post by Emma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 pm

redleader74 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm
Over time, as I started to travel more and developed acute wanderlust, I really wanted to "get lost" in the same way the characters in the movie did.
Beautifully said! I recently came across your post about visiting the Park Hyatt Tokyo. How wonderful it must have been to satisfy that wanderlust, and experience a filming location of the feature that inspired it! I am so happy you were able to visit!

I have not seen Jon Favreau's and Vince Vaughn's Swingers, but my interest is piqued! I'll have to see if it's available at the library soon ... :)

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#144 Post by redleader74 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Emma wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 pm
redleader74 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

I have not seen Jon Favreau's and Vince Vaughn's Swingers, but my interest is piqued! I'll have to see if it's available at the library soon ... :)
Oh I've got a number of really off the beaten track cult hits I can recommend. Some are SO bad that I'd be embarrassed to mention their names anywhere else. For example, "Last Stop for Paul." Script and production is so low budget and so mediocre that I've seen student films with better quality. But the "idea" of the story I felt was at one beautiful and fun.
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。

MoreThanThisToo
Traveler

#145 Post by MoreThanThisToo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi all, I created an account more than a decade ago, and have jumped on every now and then to have a quiet wander.

I first saw LiT in 2004, as a well-travelled 16/17yo. It had an immediate impact. I remember watching it with the rest of my family on DVD (there was a mixed reception). And then, immediately I took it up to my bedroom to watch again. I had never done that before and have never since — immediately watch a film again after seeing it for the first time.

It is fascinating how my appreciation for the film has changed over the years as I’ve progressed through life. How my perception of certain lines, scenes, moments, and themes have evolved .. some standing out a decade ago but now fading into nothingness and vice versa.

I’ve watched it well over 100 times. I used to suffer badly from insomnia in my teens; it was a late-night companion that helped settled me. It is a weird ritual, but early on in a relationship with a girlfriend (within the first few dates) I would get us watching LiT (very few had ever seen it). I used it as a sort of yardstick. Their opinion of the film would strongly guide the future direction of that relationship. I know. Unfortunately I never came across a girlfriend that loved-loved it.

My wife enjoys it. But she’s only managed to watch it 3 times with me over the past 6 years (like a normal person). She has however happily accepted the Mark Willms version of So Into You as “our song”.

Anyway.
"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less .. you let things upset you."