the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

the Introduce Yourself thread

#1 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:33 pm

i don't think we've had one of these, and since i'm pretty new and don't know many of you, i'm interested to see what types of people are out there.

my name is Mike, i'm 18. i'm a senior in high school, anxiously awaiting graduation and the next step. i'm a music lover. i play a few instruments, my main one being bass, but mostly i love to just listen to it and going to concerts when i can. i'm planning on going to the Ohio State University (although, i have yet to hear back) and majoring in something along the lines of English/Communications. have no clue what i'll end up doing, but i'm excited to see what's out there, i guess you could say.

i like britpop, genuine people, good conversations, coffee, seinfeld/curb your enthusiasm, and movies that make you think.

now tell me about you.
mike

#2 Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:56 am

Welcome to the forum and also greetings to the other new folks as well!!!

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#3 Post by The Shoegazer » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:57 pm

OK, I'll give it a shot.
I just turned 16, male, name is Matt and am a Freshman in High School.I was born in Poland (Scarlett is 1/2 or 1/4 polish so thats nice).I now, live in South Florida which is boring as heck. I like contemporary music like David Bowie, some darker stuff like Death in Vegas and Air (I dont know what kind that would be considered).I also play a few instruments : guitar for 3 years, drums for 2 and keybord/piano for few months.I play soccer out of high school in which is now considered to be semi-pro club. I also like to be a photographer because I been taking pictures since I was like 3 yrs. old. Thats about it for now :D
Here we are, Stuck by this river

pk_angel
Traveler

#4 Post by pk_angel » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:45 am

Meeting new people is never a bad thing. =]

So here goes. I'm a Japanese/Film Studies major over at UC Davis in California. Second year. My goal in life is to be involved with some aspect of film making, no matter how small. That's because I think film is one of the most beautiful inventions ever created by man. It has such an ability to reflect humanity and move the spirit (as Sophia Coppola has demonstated in this masterpiece). I'm also a huge Miyazaki and Kurosawa fan =] ...not to mention I'm big on anime and games (particularly the Final Fantasy series). Music that I like...all types as long as it's good. I never want to limit myself to categories but Sting and Hamasaki are among my favs. So that's me in a nutshell. Greetings *waves hi*=]

#5 Post by Guest » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:55 pm

Welcome pk_angel! Who is your avatar?

Did I ever introduce myself?!
I'm Bob! I am currently in a Groundhog Day induced time warp where I reside in the Tokyo Park Hyatt Lounge and it is always Suntory time! :lol:

pk_angel
Traveler

#6 Post by pk_angel » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:07 am

Konnichiwa Bob-san,

It doesn't seem like such a bad place...where you're at =]

My avatar features Kyoko Fukada...she's a popular Japanese actress. I'm a huge fan of hers.

jml98
Asleep

#7 Post by jml98 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:08 am

so not much to me: i'm 17, a junior in high school, getting ready for the new and improved SAT, which includes an essay (for those of you who still remember it) and is longer than before! lucky me. i live in a suburb of S.F. and go to school with some, well, quite frankly, rich people...that's how it is in CA. I go to school with the son of the CEO of eBay , the daughter of the Genentech founder, Sees candies' grandson, Seibel system's son, and a celebrity: Jerry Rice's kids, and some other local famous people; a kid has a golf hole and a basketball indoor gym in his backyard, its next to his pool; kids drive their brand new, pimped out M3s (tinted windows, stereo, rims, ps2, DVD players included) to school...my area is very O.C.ish, if you watch that show (in terms of the affluence, not so much the drama...)..so yeah. Anyway, i'm not sure why i wrote that, but i guess its kinda interesting (hopefully i don't sound snobbish, i'd like to think i'm not)...i pitch for the school varstiy baseball team, my teammate got a scholarship to UCLA to pitch, our team is pretty good, we won regional tournament last year...i snowboard (don't surf...)... i play trumpet, drums, piano (used to anyway...) Family: my father is a plastic surgeon, my mother is an accountant, i have an older brother, he's graduating from Stanford in the spring, he got his masters in Chem. engineering and will be going to get his Ph.D probably at MiT, he hasn't decided yet (no pressure on me, huh) i love LiT obviously...i love this community we have, everyone please stay active in it...thank you sofia...

anyways, i'll conclude my ramblings (sorry if they were pointless or boring to read) now with a quote:

"Quotes are nothing more than inspiration for the uninspired"

---

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:30 pm

You sound bitter about the rich kids who drive the $75,000 car daddy bought for them. I'm the same way... if there's one thing that gets on my nerves, it's rich kids who flaunt their parents' money.

Other than that, I'm 18, male, and living in beautiful yet boring Prince Edward Island, Canada. I'm currently holding down two jobs, one as a user support technician, and another as a call centre agent. I drive a Honda Civic that I paid for myself:roll: . I'm also attenting college part time to get my diploma in Business Information Technology. In my spare time I play drums in a sort of prototype cover band with some friends, called Karmaceutical. I also play guitar.

Favorite bands/artist of mine include Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, The Cure, Hoobastank (except for "the reason".. sheesh), Hootie and the Blowfish, Jet, The Postal Service, Primitive Radio Gods, and Primus. I hope to move to Toronto someday and get a job in the IT field.

Well, that's my two cents, so who's got my change :?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#9 Post by jml98 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:37 pm

Just Like Honey... wrote:You sound bitter about the rich kids who drive the $75,000 car daddy bought for them. I'm the same way... if there's one thing that gets on my nerves, it's rich kids who flaunt their parents' money.
I'm glad you could pick that up without me saying it :D What i really hate is that they don't appreciate: a girl's dad bought her a brand new bmw 328i for her 16th bday (she also rented out SBC Park, the stadium where the S.F. Giants play baseball :shock: ) She was UPSET because it wasn't an M3. So, she had her dad to lower it, get new rims, etc so it would LOOK like an M3...my god...shes not the only one like that though...

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#10 Post by jml2 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:47 pm

it's a crazy world

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:10 pm

jml98 wrote:I'm glad you could pick that up without me saying it :D What i really hate is that they don't appreciate: a girl's dad bought her a brand new bmw 328i for her 16th bday (she also rented out SBC Park, the stadium where the S.F. Giants play baseball :shock: ) She was UPSET because it wasn't an M3. So, she had her dad to lower it, get new rims, etc so it would LOOK like an M3...my god...shes not the only one like that though...
I'll choose not to comment on that since I may use some words that will be censored by the forum...
Let's just say I sympathise, and urge you to move as far away as possible from that area to avoid building up the pent up rage that's already taken its toll on me :twisted:
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#12 Post by jml98 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:36 pm

Just Like Honey... wrote: I'll choose not to comment on that since I may use some words that will be censored by the forum...
Let's just say I sympathise, and urge you to move as far away as possible from that area to avoid building up the pent up rage that's already taken its toll on me :twisted:
hahah...i know what you mean. but (and this is probably my last post about this...) they're not all like this. Most of the people are decent people, who do appreciate things..Its just the 10-15 or so, they all happen to be in their own little clique too...as far as moving away, i do have a nice little life here though...i try to remind myself everyday that this is not the real world, this extravagance and lavish lifestyle, and that keeps me grounded a little bit. let's talk about something else.

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#13 Post by Lochlain » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:17 pm

hi guys.
This is wierd. I've registered last year in June... But then I found ScarlettJohansson.org forum & forgot about this place.
I actually tried to logon there - but it isn't working now.
All right...
I'm 20. Male... I live in Kyrgyzstan - Central Asia. I'm a student. Learning...hmm... failing IT technologies.
People say I'm a loner... and an asshole. Maybe. Very lazy.
I like cinema,music...beatifull women. I also like forums - I always stick around, ussualy alone(like now).
I'm not a Scarlett fan...No really...I have 1,5 GB's of her photos.
And yes - no girlfriend. Never had actually.
I like computers...Hardware,software...I'd like to work with that stuff.
that's all foe now.
questions?

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:01 pm

Lochlain wrote:hi guys.
This is wierd. I've registered last year in June... But then I found ScarlettJohansson.org forum & forgot about this place.
All right...
I'm 20. Male... I live in Kyrgyzstan - Central Asia. I'm a student. Learning...hmm... failing IT technologies.
I like cinema,music...beatifull women. I also like forums - I always stick around, ussualy alone(like now).
that's all foe now.
questions?
Weird. I never met loners who were totall assholes. Maybe just me but they usually are nice once you'll talk to them, most of the time shy but polite and smart.I was like that 2 years ago but not now, I am still smart :o and polite but in a different way.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#15 Post by Lochlain » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:58 pm

The Shoegazer wrote:
Lochlain wrote:hi guys.
All right...
that's all foe now.
questions?
Weird. I never met loners who were totall assholes. Maybe just me but they usually are nice once you'll talk to them, most of the time shy but polite and smart.I was like that 2 years ago but not now, I am still smart :o and polite but in a different way.
Good for you...Shoegazer.
I told you I'm a friek... Smart - sometimes(twice a year).Polite - if you're not my boss then yes.
Shy - O YESSSS!
Why this place is so fucking abanoned?

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#16 Post by Suntory » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:54 pm

Lochlain wrote:Why this place is so fucking abanoned?
Several reasons:
1) the original website was started shortly after the movie came out and got a lot of traffic. The webmaster of that site abandoned it
after a few months and that shattered the community and good will.
2) Once this site was started word spread slowly and not everyone who was on the old site knew about it or came back.
3) After a movie has been out for a long time interest begins to wane and you can go back and read all the older discussions if you like.
4) This is a special interest niche film and of the people who enjoy it, probably only a small percentage are avid enough to seek out fan sites on the internet.
5) People have lives outside and need to attend to them. Like me! :shock: I sometimes don't come here for weeks and weeks!!! Oh my!

Welcome aboard!

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#17 Post by Lochlain » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Suntory wrote:
Lochlain wrote:Why this place is so fucking abanoned?
Several reasons:
1) the original website was started shortly after the movie came out and got a lot of traffic. The webmaster of that site abandoned it
after a few months and that shattered the community and good will.
2) Once this site was started word spread slowly and not everyone who was on the old site knew about it or came back.
3) After a movie has been out for a long time interest begins to wane and you can go back and read all the older discussions if you like.
4) This is a special interest niche film and of the people who enjoy it, probably only a small percentage are avid enough to seek out fan sites on the internet.
5) People have lives outside and need to attend to them. Like me! :shock: I sometimes don't come here for weeks and weeks!!! Oh my!

Welcome aboard!
right...
thanks

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#18 Post by blades7896 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:15 pm

I'm Joe, 18, bloke, From Sheffield in Yorkshire, England.
I've got totally sick of all the morons constantly slagging off this masterpiece on IMDb and I'd like to hear the thoughts of people who can appreciate this film and people who can connect to it as well as I can.

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#19 Post by wiggle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:54 am

My name's Tom, I'm also 18 from Gloucester in the UK. I consider Lost in Translation to be the finest film ever made since it makes films like When Harry Met Sally and Notting Hill look like complete and utter trite. The banality of these films draws in the punters (for example "Hitch") but fail to stand the test of time. In 10 years time, LiT will still be my favourite.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#20 Post by Azshi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:22 pm

I used to frequent the forum at areyouawake.org but not having a computer of my own, I never registered. Circumstances are different now and it's great to see a decent fansite back up!

I agree with Blades about the trash getting posted at IMDB; It's astounding how some people choose to spend their time

Anyway, I'm 22, male, I live in Michigan where Spring has finally arrived. Full-time sales associate, part-time student. I love to draw, read, listen to music, and play videogames, etc...

Lost in Translation is my favorite movie of all time. I've always had a tendency to get obsessive about my interests and hobbies. I would immerse myself in a movie/artist/band, memorize the work, think about it, bore my friends with details and burn myself out, only to move on to the next thing. I was obsessed with LiT for awhile but the strange thing of it is that I never burned out. It has stayed close to me for more than a year and I'm still able to watch it and feel affected by the relationship portrayed and the feelings that unfold between Bob and Charlotte.

I think the reason I never grew tired of it is because it doesn't feel like a movie. To me, LiT is a collection of small moments, careful and awkward attempts to connect with somebody you don't fully know but care for immensely. Day-to-day happenings are important to a relationship, but the memories that stick with me are the little things that might go unnoticed. LiT is a fantastic film for many reasons, but what makes it truly special is that Sofia paid attention to the tiny details that make an experience real and important.

Thank you for investing so much of your time and energy into creating a community for us here.