Before Sunset

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

jml98
Asleep

Before Sunset

#1 Post by jml98 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:30 pm

i just saw the movie Before Sunset...it was great! It's about this American author in Paris for a book tour. While he there he sees an old flame and the two talk. I know after reading my summary, ur probably like uh....ok -- more on that a little later.

What stood out was how much it reminded me of LiT! Like LiT, Before Sunset has such a great flow to it, it was like the whole movie was just one take. The acting had a very natural feel to it also, like the script directed the actors on where to go, but the actors mainly adlibbed all the dialogue. Also, many themes were common in both movies. The characters have conversations about all kinds of things, including marriage, life, and most of all, love. Like LiT, it's hard to say what "happens" in the movie. Theres not much "action", but it's never boring. The whole movie takes place in the frame of about an hour (watch it - you'll get it) Like LiT, the setting (in this case, its Paris) comes alive; there are some great shots of the beautiful city. And, like LiT, the ending will stir up discussion....

While not quite as powerful as LiT, Before Sunset is a great little independent film. It's short and sweet -- under 80 minutes. I highly recommend it.

For anyone that has seen it: what did you think? What are your thoughts about the ending? I'd love to talk about it.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#2 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:41 pm

Before Sunset is the sequel to Before Sunrise, as I understand it.

I've been looking for quite a while, but none of the rental places around here seem to own copies of them. And I'm not sure I want to outright buy them either. Maybe if I spot them in the cheap bin sometime...

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:04 pm

hmm..i acutally didn't know that. i randomly saw before sunset lying around in my brother's room, i think his gf gave it to him or something. I just put in on and watched it. Maybe i'll go back and watch the first one...but actually, you don't need to watch the first one and still can enjoy the second one. it worked for me anyway. You won't know exactly what happened in the fling they keep talking about, but it doesn't really matter. To me, it seemed as if the fling was just some magical happening. It is personal, it is only supposed to be between the two characters. I thought Ebert's description of the whisper in LiT actually described this "fling" very well: that the characters are so real that they deserve their own privacy. The audience doesn't know what happened - we "shouldn't be allowed to know it" as ebert writes -- but that's ok.

Again, this is what i thought it was supposed to be like, i didn't know that there is actually a first movie where you can see exactly what happened :D

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#4 Post by Azshi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:35 pm

I watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset back to back, seeing both for the first time. Both are great movies.

Before Sunrise explores how two young adults find love unexpectedly. Like Before Sunset and LiT, it's full of small details and exchanges that make the events come alive.

Before Sunset was great, but I think seeing Before Sunrise would help flesh out the relationship. There is so much optimism and hope in the characters in Before Sunrise. Before Sunset finds them 9 years later, both hurt by life's obstacles and the passage of time, but able to reevaluate how they feel about each other and the night they shared. Knowing the history adds a lot of gravity to dialogue shared in Before Sunset.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#5 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:17 pm

I finally got my hands on copies of both. Having just returned from Europe, spending a great deal of time on trains and walking around European cities with a good friend of mine, it only made them hit that much closer.

Definitely worth watching. I really liked the endings of both. Most of the time the dialogue felt unscripted and natural, other times overly scripted and forced, but still interesting. I especially like the real-time and rushed feel of Sunset, how for the first 3/4 they skirt around the subject of their feelings, saying everything is fine, speaking of minutia, and how happy they are in life, and it's only when they're running out of time in the car that it all comes out.

If you watch the making of on the Sunset DVD, they mentioned possibly making a third movie. I dunno, it was kind of nice to see a resolution to the ending of Sunrise. However I don't think I'd be interested in a similar thing with LiT. Let us leave the fate of Bob and Charlotte up to ourselves.

Anyway they get my recommendation too, for what that's worth :roll:

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#6 Post by Azshi » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:57 pm

Linklater has talked about making Before [...] a series of films that, when complete, would hopefully serve as a rounded discussion about love and relationships. With Hawk and Delpy helping to write Before Sunset, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more sequel.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by jm » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 pm

"[quote:d0674d0e91="drabthehours"]Let us leave the fate of Bob and Charlotte up to ourselves.[/quote:d0674d0e91]
Well, I would not object to a sequel about Bob, and a sequel about Charlotte.
But not the two together."