Lit, Pi, "sunshine"

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#21 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:45 pm

Congruous wrote:I used to think I was ambidextrous. I do everything left-handed except sports. (God forbid I try to brush my teeth right-handed...it would be a bloodbath.) I can throw, kick, and play tennis on either side, but in sports I use the right side. Still, I think the reason I'm dominant right-handed is that I copied the other kids when I was little. Now I consider myself as a lefthander who learned sports skills from right-handed people.
I kind of share a similar situation, too.
I'm a right hander when it comes to everyday menial tasks (writing, brushing my teeth, etc), and in most sports, but I noticed whenever I play any kind of sport where you have to hold something in two hands (golf, baseball {bat}, whatever), I'm usually more comfortable going left handed, whereas any one handed sport (tennis, baseball {field}) I usually play as a rightie.

The funny part is I only realized this after the other day when I played my first game of golf with a friend (I shot 129) and he noticed that I used left handed clubs.

Creepy
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#22 Post by sw25 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Are you a Magnolia fan, Ithildriel?

It's one of my favorites.

And, on-topic, interesting thread. I'm not going to pretend to be smart enough to add insight, though!

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#23 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Wow - lots of opinions on the "case study". I'll add my thoughts as soon as I digest all this.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#24 Post by I65 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:03 pm

sw25 wrote:Are you a Magnolia fan, Ithildriel?

It's one of my favorites.
I love Magnolia. Saw it in the theater and had to buy the video. Wish I had the dvd, but oh well. It is a great movie about the power forgiveness has to heal us.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#25 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:20 pm

I think I need to see Magnolia, as you suggested Ith.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#26 Post by I65 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:31 pm

52FM wrote:I think I need to see Magnolia, as you suggested Ith.
Just make sure you have PLENTY of time. I think it is 3 hours and 15 minutes long if I remember right.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#27 Post by sw25 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:21 pm

Ithildriel is right, it is around 3 hours, and the emotional wallop it packs can be exhausting, but I'll tell you this: It was the quickest three hours of film I've ever witnessed.

I'd love to talk about the movie with you sometime, Ithildriel, if you ever want to. It blew me away the first time I saw it.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#28 Post by I65 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 am

sw25 wrote:Ithildriel is right, it is around 3 hours, and the emotional wallop it packs can be exhausting, but I'll tell you this: It was the quickest three hours of film I've ever witnessed.

I'd love to talk about the movie with you sometime, Ithildriel, if you ever want to. It blew me away the first time I saw it.
I started a thread on the film board, but I'm off to work so someone else will have to take the ball and run with it...hehe.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by 52FM » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:56 pm

Ok – here are my thoughts on handedness and “braindedness” (Copyright pending by Ithildriel):

In my limited research on this lately, I learned there is controversy surrounding the whole left/right hand/brain business. (Controversy in science? Get out of town!) While the left brain does control the right side and vice-versa, this does not imply for example that left handed people tend to be more artistic.

In fact, I always thought it was more prevalent that left handed people tended to be better at logic. In the 70’s and 80’s at least, I always noted a disproportionate number of left handed programmers at work. (By the way, I’m left handed, though I do “learned” things right handed, like playing guitar, batting, throwing. Yet I play tennis left handed. Don’t ask me why, but if I had to bet, I would have pegged Congruous to be left handed and Ith to be right handed.)

But whatever the connection – there is a logical side of the brain and an emotional (or artistic) one. I agree that one is usually dominant – but I am now considering Ith’s propositions, which I am restating, expounding on, and labeling for sake of convenience here:

1. People can usually use either side to varying extent. It is rare for someone to be wholly left or right in reality.

2. In practice, one can find a comfort zone in one or the other, usually through positive reinforcement (and/or negative reinforcement of the opposite side).

3. Events/environment may trigger a temporary shift from the usually dominant side to the other.

4. Those shifts are likely to be relatively short (in the 20 year example with four cycles – it is unlikely they would be five years each).

5. It is NOT the brain moving back and forth; it is the subject at some level of consciousness making it happen.

Now I will add one of my own:

6. Relative to numbers 2, 3 and 5, the subject may actually be repressing the less dominant side (at some level of consciousness) rather than settling in on the dominant. So events may not trigger a shift to the other side, but make it impossible for the subject to continue that repression.

We can think of this using other sciences. Physics primarily. Chemistry might work also, but I don’t know much about it. (Besides, I think guys only major in Chemistry to meet intelligent women.) Anyway, think of a closed system with a blockage preventing a natural flow of some liquid. Ultimately, the pressure will build up and then the liquid will probably push through at a rate faster than it would have had it been allowed to flow. So we have to question why the block is there – is it there accidentally or was it placed there to prevent that flow for some reason? Can it be removed, circumvented without effect to the system or final result, or allowed to flow without impact to the final result? Relating to this case study, those answers are yet to be determined.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#30 Post by I65 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:30 pm

I like your comments here, especially the one about men being Chemistry majors to meet intelligent women :lol: I think that it works the other way too :P

I also think that you hit the nail on the head with #6. Certain events in our life trigger an inability to repress our less dominant side.

It's funny what you said about programmers. I work in the IT department of a retailer here on the West Coast, and not only are there a disproportionate number of lefties in the department (I would say probably 1/2) but a large majority are also Capricorns (myself being one of them).

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#31 Post by 52FM » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:25 am

Interesting about the Capricorns; my wife and daughter are both Capricorns (and both right handed) but are both very artistic. On the other hand (pun intended) I am left handed and a January birthday, but an Aquarius.