A sad day for Chicagoans

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

A sad day for Chicagoans

#1 Post by 52FM » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:04 pm

Allow me a little venting here – this may mean absolutely nothing to everyone, but I’ll try to explain my feeling (and the feeling I suspect of millions of Chicagoans – either those living here now or those who ever spent a significant amount of time living here.)

It was announced today that Marshall Field’s department stores in the Chicago area (and some other states in the Midwest) will change their name. A while ago Federated Department Stores (owners of Macy’s) bought out the chain. We feared the name change would happen – and now it’s been confirmed.

So what, you might ask? Macy’s is known the world over. True – and I’m sure they are a quality store and will be in Chicago as well. But to a Chicagoan Marshall Field’s WAS very much a part of Chicago. As much as the lakefront, the Cubs, Second City (which I lived down the street from for a few years), Billy Goat’s Tavern (Cheezborger!! Cheezborger!!), Deep Dish Pizza, the El, Sears Tower, O’Hare, Buddy Guy, Mike Ditka, Michael Jordan, Harry Carey, Bill Murray (to give this an LiT angle), and I could go on and on. I’m not exaggerating – that is what Field’s meant to Chicagoans.

The building that houses the original store on the corner of State and Washington has recently been under consideration for landmark status by the city council. If granted – significant changes to the appearance of the building will be prohibited without council approval (certain elements of Wrigley Field are protected under landmark status, such as the ivy and the manually operated scoreboard.) There is debate growing as I write this whether at least the one store can preserve the Marshall Field’s name. Probably not – and I suppose it makes more sense to change them all than to have one Fields and the rest Macy’s. The shopping mall stores will all be Macy’s anyway.

I have nothing against Macy’s per se – but I hate the erosion of Chicago’s unique identity. Part of a Second City Syndrome, perhaps – but I think it’s deeper than that. Chicago has always been considered the largest “home town” in the country – meaning that more kids born here tend to stay here rather than moving away. In the last several years we’ve lost some of that home town identity: a major bank (First National of Chicago – bought by Bank One and now Chase); Amoco gasoline (now BP), Michael Jordan to the Wizzards; hey – even Bozo the Clown was cancelled!

What’s next? I’m waiting for the announcement that the Second City comedy troupe is being bought by the Comedy Store. Or maybe all own unique deep dish pizza places (like Gino’s East) will be bought out by Pizza Hut.

Well, they can’t fill in Lake Michigan and eliminate Oak Street Beach. (Can they??)
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by You Make it Easy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:08 pm

just on a side note, Its going to be sad to see the WhiteSox having the biggest collaspe in baseball history.
Waiting to be found...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:38 pm

The White Sox are a concept that never really caught on here. While they have fans, they are essentially a "small-market" ballclub palying in a large market. Their fan base is probably one of the lowest in the major leagues. They threatened to move to Florida many years ago and there was not as large of an outcry that there is today over the Field's name change.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that :(
I love Chicago and i've never been there.
I'm in to historic preservation and know how horrible these things can be.
I've seen in some cases that original signs were left on buildings due to historical value/being on the national register of historic places even though what the building housed was a new company/corporation.
Hopefully something can be done to that extent.
It's sad how much of our history is being torn down or bought out.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Actually, today they announced that the heavy bronze Marshall Fields signs on the sides of the square block long building will stay. Also - their signature candy - Frango Mints will also stay.

The store dates back to the 1800's - so I'm not talking about something in my generation only - this dates back several generations.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by I65 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Well, at least they are keeping some parts of it.

Being in retail the past 8 years, I will say that the mentality out there is "eat or be eaten". The company I work for is fairly small relatively speaking. I get the feeling one day we are going to wake up and all that will be left is WalMart and Federated (maybe Target for those that can't abide Wal*Mart, and can't afford Macy*s).

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:18 pm

I'm so glad to hear that! :)
Frango Mints? I'll have to try those.
I bet a lot of people are happy to hear that the signs will stay.
Is it on the national register of historical places?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#8 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:30 pm

I just found two Marshall Field & Company locations there on the National Register of Historical places.Which one is the location you're referring to?

Marshall Field Company Store *** (added 1978 - Building - #78001123)
111 N. State St., Chicago
Historic Significance: Event
Area of Significance: Commerce
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade
Historic Sub-function: Department Store
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Current Sub-function: Department Store

or
Marshall Field and Company Store (added 1988 - Building - #87002510)
1144 W. Lake St., Oak Park
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Graham,Anderson,Probst & White
Architectural Style: Art Deco
Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture
Period of Significance: 1925-1949
Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Work In Progress

I love Art Deco architecture so i am definitely looking up that Lake St location.I bet it's gorgeous. Ever seen "Metropolis" ? It's pure Art Deco.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:59 pm

The one on State Street is the original building and the main store. The one in Oak Park is the next oldest. There was an old one in Evanston (where Northwestern U is - we lived there for many years) but they closed that store down in their downtown's rennovation. And there are several in malls all around the suburbs (and the big Michigan Avenue shopping destination in downtown Chicago - Water Tower Place , but they are the typical mall stores - nothing special.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Hopefully the fact that it's on the National Register will keep it there,and fully intact for many years,and generations to come :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:33 pm

By the way, lemon, whose picture is that on your avatar?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:02 pm

patrick fugit aka william miller in almost famous :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:56 pm

Oh. It looked like Brian Jones (long ago deceased) from the original Rolling Stones lineup. (Showing my age again).

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:24 am

:)
my dad said the same things when i was watching the movie.
"was he modeled on brian jones ?"
i think he was looks wise.
cameron crowe seemed to model each character after someone.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:33 am

By the way, lemon - thanks for looking up that info in the National Register regarding the two Fields' buildings. Very interesting. Since you seem to have an interest in architecture, you might be interested in knowing that Oak Park where the Art Deco building is, is a suburb just west of Chicago and has a very large number of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes and buildings. So many that there are tours given for people interested in that - though I've never gone on one myself. (Never been on top of the Sears Tower either; so many "tourist" type things that are really intersting that "natives" miss out on by not taking the time to enjoy their own city.)

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#16 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:56 am

I have a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright books,photos of his work and in every single one of them,Chicago is heavily mentioned.
You know,you have so many wonderful things in your area,i think that maybe you should set aside a day or two sometime and go do all those "tourist" things.I think you'd have a wonderful time. Maybe you could even get your family in on it.I think everyone would enjoy it and it would make for some great family photos.

What's sad about things that are on the National Register,is the fact that just because they are listed,does not prevent them from being demolished or messed with (Palace Amusements,etc) So i encourage everyone to take some time out,and visit things when they can,so they never have the regret of never visiting or doing this or that.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Congruous » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:49 am

Didn't Lewis Sullivan design the original Marshall Fields store? Seems like I remember that from art school. If it's the one I have in my head, the exterior is amazing...sort of hard to categorize.

I just Googled Sullivan, and it's Louis Sullivan, and I didn't see any reference to Marshall Fields.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#18 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 am

I honestly have no idea. I've never even been in a Field store.
You're probably right though,for some reason i kept thinking it was Richardon.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#19 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:12 am

I beleive Louis Sullivan designed another famous landmark department store in Chicago - Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. They were bought out by Bergner's several years ago and planned on changing the name. Same outcry as now - but they got the point and kept the Carson's name. I am sure they are laughing now - because so many Field's loyalists have cut up thier charge cards in protest and opened accounts at a "true Chicago store - Carson's". They are trying to organize a boycott over the Columbus Day weekend also.

The Carson Building exterior has been worked on meticulously over the past year or more to restore it to its original shine. The main entrance is actually grander than that of Field's. Again, I suspect they will reap a benefit from all this; they always played second fiddle to Field's; I have no doubt that Macy's will succeed, but Carson's will gain significantly.

Lemon - if you have time - could you look up the Carson's building on the register? Thanks.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#20 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:19 am

here you go :)

Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company *** (added 1970 - Building - #70000231)
Also known as Schlisinger and Mayer Store Building
1 S. State St., Chicago
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Sullivan,Louis Henry, Burnham,Daniel H., & Co.
Architectural Style: Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Current Sub-function: Department Store