Sing me an Un-Love Song

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#41 Post by Ithildriel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:40 am

Fleetwood Mac ~ Dreams

Now here you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well who am I to keep you down
Its only right that you should
Play the way you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound
Of your loneliness
Like a heartbeat.. drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost...
And what you had...
And what you lost

Thunder only happens when its raining
Players only love you when theyre playing
Say... women... they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean... youll know

Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions
I keep my visions to myself
Its only me
Who wants to wrap around your dreams and...
Have you any dreams youd like to sell?
Dreams of loneliness...
Like a heartbeat... drives you mad...
In the stillness of remembering what you had...
And what you lost...
And what you had...
And what you lost

Thunder only happens when its raining
Players only love you when theyre playing
Say... women... they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean... youll know

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#42 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:18 pm

LostCalls wrote:Brilliantly biting song by CAKE (with, of course, a scathing trumpet line).

To me
Coming from you
Friend is a four-letter word.
End is the only part of the word that I heard.
Call me morbid or absurd,
But to me
Coming from you
Friend is a four-letter word.

When I go fishing for the words
I am wishing you would say to me,
I'm really only praying
That the words you'll soon be saying
Might betray the way you feel about me.
I like the lyrics to that song a lot, but the guitar arpeggios don't stand out at all to me, and I with the song sounded different than it does. Sort of reminds me of the guitar from a Three Doors Down song or something, or Behind Blue Eyes. Wonderfully written un-love song though.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#43 Post by 52FM » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:18 pm

I was Googling and found this take on Morrison's The End:

When asked what The End meant, Jim replied,
“It started out as a simple goodbye song, it's sufficiently complex and universal in its imagery that it could be almost anything you want it to be.”
So you could ask five different people what any Doors song means, and you would most probably get five different answers….

Before I get to ‘The End', let's take a look at the album as a whole, it begins with Jim probing life as something to be lived, yet always recognising that life is mystical and made of many realities. But living doesn't allow absolute freedom, and people constantly search for sanctuary. Since neither love nor sanctuaries offer security, Jim turns to ‘The End' as his beautiful and only friend.

‘THE END'
Surrendering to a sense of hopelessness so beautifully rendered in the song's opening, Jim takes the hand of his only friend, the end.
The imagery and music then moves on as Jim seeks freedom, riding the King's highway, riding the snake to the ancient lake, going west, and answering the call of the blue bus.
(The Blue Bus may be a reference to a bus that ran through LA to the beach, but on the other hand, it could be a vessel through the underworld, not unlike the boat that ferried the souls of the dead down the river Styx.)
Then the mood shifts to an eerie look at original evil in humans as we take a journey with a killer down a hall in a place no longer a sanctuary – the home. Jim then makes the transition to the philosophical level with the human taking a face from the ancient gallery (something that was done on the ancient Greek stage). But the calmness of the mask is shattered when the killer completes his journey; telling his father he wants to kill him and then confronting his mother….
These are themes of the classic Oedipal story…
“Oedipus, his father's murderer, his mother's lover, solver of the Sphinx's riddle”
Take it as killing the father means killing those things instilled in you but are not of yourself, and sexually conquering the mother means returning to your essence, which can't lie to you.

Jim's message was act now, search later. Life is a journey, but any journey will be painful. Life is pain, love is pain, and fear prevents people from experiencing life, from accepting what The Doors ultimately come to realise,
that we are all just riders on the storm.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#44 Post by Congruous » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:22 pm

When I was a kid and I listened to the Doors a lot, I avoided "The End" and "When the Music's Over" because they were so long and I felt that Morrison was getting sort of lost in himself and I didn't want to follow. The lyrics are interesting and the music is well-played, but I much preferred the shorter stuff.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#45 Post by Ithildriel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Congruous wrote:When I was a kid and I listened to the Doors a lot, I avoided "The End" and "When the Music's Over" because they were so long and I felt that Morrison was getting sort of lost in himself and I didn't want to follow. The lyrics are interesting and the music is well-played, but I much preferred the shorter stuff.
I enjoyed reading 52's post. I have never listened to them a lot, so almost anytime I do sit down and you-tube a few of their songs, or pop on a cd, I listen to the end. You do have to be in a certain frame of mind to take on The End.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#46 Post by 52FM » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:36 pm

I MUCH prefer When The Music's Over; both the lyrics and the music (Manzarek's keyboards especially.)

I always loved the no holding back "what have they done to the earth". Remember - this was the 60s!

When the music's over
When the music's over, yeah
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights, yeah

When the music's over
When the music's over
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights

For the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end
Until the end
Until the end

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside

The face in the mirror won't stop
The girl in the window won't drop
A feast of friends
"Alive!" she cried
Waitin' for me
Outside!

Before I sink
Into the big sleep
I want to hear
I want to hear
The scream of the butterfly

Come back, baby
Back into my arm
We're gettin' tired of hangin' around
Waitin' around with our heads to the ground

I hear a very gentle sound
Very near yet very far
Very soft, yeah, very clear
Come today, come today

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
And tied her with fences and dragged her down

I hear a very gentle sound
With your ear down to the ground
We want the world and we want it...
We want the world and we want it...
Now
Now?
Now!

Persian night, babe
See the light, babe
Save us!
Jesus!
Save us!

So when the music's over
When the music's over, yeah
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights

Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end
Until the end
Until the end!

Congruous
Suntory Time

#47 Post by Congruous » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Ithildriel wrote: I enjoyed reading 52's post. I have never listened to them a lot, so almost anytime I do sit down and you-tube a few of their songs, or pop on a cd, I listen to the end. You do have to be in a certain frame of mind to take on The End.
I like "Strange Days," "Moonlight Ride," "Unknown Soldier," and "Love Her Madly." "L.A. Woman" is a great song to listen to when you are driving around.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#48 Post by 52FM » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:55 pm

So many songs have unusual twists on conventional love song patterns.

Examples: Hello, I Love You. Pretty typical love song stuff on the surface, but subtle differences: "When she moves my brain screams out this song" where most people woudl expect "my heart sings out this song" (and then the "song" is trippy guitar slide."

Another one - "I looked at you". Again, a love song, but a subtle twist. The lyrics are sappy sounding but the music puts in a very different angle (to me at least):

I looked at you
You looked me
I smiled at you
You smiled at me

And were on our way
No we cant turn back, babe
Yeah, were on our way
And we cant turn back

cause its too late
Too late, too late
Too late, too late

I walked with you
You walked with me
I talked to you
You talked to me

And were on our way
No we cant turn back, yeah
Yeah, were on our way
And we cant turn back, yeah

cause its too late
Too late, too late
Too late, too late

The odd thing to me is that the lines "cause it's too late, too late..." are all played in a minor key - which usually expresses saddness. In other words - to me at least - it's like he feels trapped. OK - maybe it's just my take, but if anyone has that song (Congruous?) listen to it and see if you agree I might have a point.