Chicago loses yet another legend

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Chicago loses yet another legend

#1 Post by 52FM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:16 pm

This one from natural causes - Ray Meyer; the face of DePaul (and Chicago) basketball since before I was even born. From a local newspaper:

He was the type of coach mothers wanted to hug and sons wanted to play for.
With his trademark gap-toothed smile and “aw shucks” demeanor, he won over nearly everyone he encountered.
He was a husband, a father, a grandpa, a legend … but most of all, he was simply “Coach.”
And that’s how generations of college basketball fans will remember Ray Meyer, who directed the fortunes at DePaul during an amazing 42-year run.
Meyer died Friday at the age of 92. The Arlington Heights resident died peacefully surrounded by his family at the Addolorata Villa living facility in Wheeling.

“He was the face of college basketball in Chicago. When you think of basketball in that city, you think of Ray Meyer,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said.
The Meyer name went well beyond “Coach.” For years, the family held a special place around the DePaul campus, from Ray and his wife, Marge, to their five children, including former DePaul coach Joey Meyer.
“Marge Meyer was like a second mother to me,” said former Notre Dame coach Digger Phelps, “and Ray was one of the classiest guys in the game.”
After retiring in 1984, Meyer served as an ambassador for basketball, both in Chicago and around the nation, remaining a father figure for his former players and a friend to all.
Meyer ran his own basketball camp for boys ages 9 to 16 in northern Wisconsin. The camp ran from 1947 through 2001 and was conducted under the watchful eye of Meyer and his wife.
Meyer coached the Blue Demons to 21 postseason appearances, 13 in the NCAA Tournament and 8 in the National Invitation Tournament. He had winning records in 37 of 42 seasons, had 20 wins or better 12 times and reached the NCAA Final Four twice — in 1943 (led by center George Mikan) and 1979 (led by Mark Aguirre).
Meyer’s overall record was 724-354.
“He was largely responsible for the recognition the university received because of his teams in the ’70s and ’80s,” said DePaul athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto. “Coast to coast, people knew who DePaul was because of him.”
The Blue Demons were upset three times as No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament in the early 1980s.
But it won’t be the losses Meyer will be remembered for, but rather what those who ran across him gained from meeting him.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Draconian
Traveler

#2 Post by Draconian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:50 am

Never herd of him..

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by jm » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 am

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by lemoncupcake » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Draconian wrote:Never herd of him..
I have.
My condolences to his family,and everyone who loved/admired him.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:19 am

My son and I went to his wake last week; a lot of ex=players and a lot of people who were like us - fans. My wife grew up not far from DePaul and we lived in that neighborhood for a few years early in our marriage. Plus it turned out he and his wife moved to the town we live in now after their kids had grown up. So we saw him around a few times and he was always approachable - very likeable though you'd never know that from watching him get on the refs.

A shame they never made it past the Final Four in 1979 (though losing to Larry Bird's team is no shame.) Bu tthey were ranked high for many years after that and always choked in the opening rounds of the tournament.

George Mason making the final four this year reminds me of DePaul doing it in 1979. The neighborhood went nuts back then. A fond memory in my life.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."