Lousy Politics

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Lousy Politics

#1 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:58 pm

I never thought I would be the one to dredge up politics in the Lounge (God forbid), but I happen to be watching CNN and felt like asking people's opinions of the situation of the U.S. (okay, okay, the security council)'s reaction to Iran's nuclear program. Especially seeing as how on 99% of other large political message board sites there is always some idiot fanatic that decides to throw the conversation way out of whack, and I think we're better than that.

Also, I just saw a quick news flash about a story (correct me if I'm wrong) about GWB admitting that he authorized the selective leak of sensitive information to the press early last year.

Whats your response?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by You Make it Easy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 am

Iran is a threat in my opinion. Their leader is on the crazy side and I could see him dropping some nukes on neighboring countries and possibly trying to attack the USA. I'm not to sure about starting a war on Iran when we are still committed in Iraq.

About the leak I have not heard of anything, although I havnt been keeping up with politics and "the press" lately, but if there is one problem its that the press says way to damn much about what our Government is doing. Its a government of course it has flaws but dont go giving out everything you hear through the grapevine and put it on T.V.

Personally I try to stay out of politics simply because its hard to come to an understanding.
Waiting to be found...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:35 am

I tend to be conservative economically and liberal socially. I voted for Bush both times; both times I was incredibly unimpresed with his opposition; frankly - in my view the real danger in American politics is the void that exists frim the Democratic party not coming up with candidates viable to the heart of the country.

I was VERY ready to vote for Bush's opponent last time. IF it was truly "anybody but Bush" as the buttons atated I woudl have voted him out (that is, if first we chose to keep or not keep him, and then go through a selection process to find the replacement. But "anybody" wasn't running, it was Kerry. I know the "flip-flop" thing is as much semantics and a catchy charge or label that was designed to make him look unpresendential. But there was too much truth in it for me and obviously many others. The result - we get a bull headed president who was very firm in beliefs and seemingly didnt' let things like ethics and maybe even the law and Constitution get in the way of what he personally thoguht was best.

So until the left in America comes to grips with the fact that the country simply is not as liberal as they would like it to be, or thinks it should be, we are faced with conflicting unsatisfying choices. And America becomes weaker in the world's eyes as a result

Some people have said Bill Clinton was the first "black" president. Others have said he was the best Republican president we ever had. While his own personal morals served to make many people disgusted - the fact is we do need more candidates who are difficult to lable - and therefore have a higher chance of hitting the balance needed.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:15 pm

52FM wrote:Some people have said Bill Clinton was the first "black" president. Others have said he was the best Republican president we ever had.
:? Come Again?
Now, I'm Canadian and unfortunately don't have a president ( :lol: ), but I was under the impression that Bill was a demmy-crat.

Sorry, had to point that out... but for the most part, yes, agreed. I would have voted for Kerry though. Then again, that's from a biased point of view, because if Kerry decides to be a doofus and screws up, it wouldn't really affect the Great White North. Amen
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:46 am

Bill Clinton either was really the Slick Willy that some derisively called him, or he really did a good job of sensing several sides of the political spectrum. I suspect history will treat him with a lot more respect (and likely appropriately) than I personally had for him.

Saying that, there were people who felt he undertood the issues of black America so well that they give him (with respect) the "honorary" title of the first "black" president.

On the other side (and yes, he was/is a Democrat) there were liberals who felt he was too conservative, and thus derisively called him the best republican president we ever had (in other woirds, his views to them were so conservative, he might as well been a republican.)

While I personally didn't like him or vote for him, I am impressed that he could have such disparent labels - to me that proves he struck a good balance - something Bush isn't doing despite his rhetoic after his first election, and that I saw no hope of Kerry doing either.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."