The most fantastic day of my life...

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

The most fantastic day of my life...

#1 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:15 am

I have always thought it would be great fun to flit away to New York for the weekend. Since I finished my Grandfather's estate, some friends talked me into treating myself...so I left Friday morning, arrived at 10pm Friday night, and caught a 10 am flight back to California on Sunday. My hubby was unable to come with me, as he currently has to work weekends, so I treated a friend, the only thing she paid for was her souveniers. It was no holds barred fun Saturday. I'm going to do a series of posts regarding the day for those that are interested.

We stayed at the Muse Hotel, in Manhattan. Here are some online pictures, I didn't take any of it. It was walking distance to Rockefeller Center

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qs ... 9153257843&

Here are a couple of pictures of the view from our room on the 5th Floor.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:18 am

So, we rose at 8am NY time (5am Cali time :-/) on Saturday morning. A friend of mine told me, I had to go to little Italy and have pastries for breakfast at Ferrara. So off we were for a crazy cab ride to Little Italy. The streets were blocked off, so we had to walk a few blocks. We passed this cool Italian Deli, I didn't go in, but had to snap a few pictures.

It wasn't long before we saw our destination.

How are you supposed to choose?

The lady was very sweet and helpful, and posed for this picture for us...after helping us select about 20 dollars worth of miniature pastries, and a couple of cups of house coffee.

I couldn't think of a better way to start off the morning!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:18 am

As you can all see by now, I'm not much of a photographer, but you get the gist. ::)

Well, I still haven't decided if the cannoli or the Baba Rhum were my favorite yet. :D

So we grabbed our next mad cab ride and headed over to The Museum of Natural History.

The animal exhibits were fantastic, so lifelike.

And then we looked at the African Art displays. I particularly liked this fly shooer...and daydreamed a handsome young man to use it to shoo the flies from me. :D

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:19 am

After the African Exhibit, we saw the Museum gift shop. I had decided that I was going to buy a neclace to wear that evening, so we stopped to see what they had. Well it was a no holds barred weekend so I got an Ammonite necklace

But I had really wanted some Amber, so I bought these beautiful earrings to wear with it.

Now I really love amethyst, and have a few pieces, but no necklaces, so I couldn't pass this up.

So, as I go to pay, the lady asks, was there anything else you liked? I said I really like that Jasper necklace, but I will never wear it...Oh just try it on says she. ::) Of course with my dark hair and olive skin, my friend said I had to buy it as well, who was I to say no?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:20 am

It had been raining that morning, but had stopped, and it was time for lunch, so we went out and bought a Hot Dog from a street vendor (which was on my friends list of things she wanted to do before she left) and walked across the street and ate it in Central Park.

Back to the museum, for a few more hours. Here are a few of my favorite pieces we saw.

An Armenian Wedding Gown

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:20 am

So by 3:30, we had seen about half of the museum, and I was getting pretty tired. We had 6pm dinner reservations at AJ Maxwells, so it was a cab ride to the hotel, and then we walked to the restaurant. Here's me and my friend, I wearing some of my new booty. ;D

So for dinner we had

Appetizers

Oysters Rockefeller
Escargot
with a glass of Reisling each

I had a goat cheese salad, which was herbed goat cheese on toasted croutons served on a bed of mescaline {sp} greens with dried cranberries, and a walnut raspberry vinegrette. She had the French Onion soup. We had a magnificent bottle of Pinot Noir with our dinner, which was Kobe filets and lobster, Wild mushrooms sauteed in truffle oil, asparagus, and steamed spinich.

We were having a ball, and our dinner was early so we had waiters all around us. The waiter took his picture with us, but I don't have that yet, it's on her camera.

Anyway, by the time we finished, the waiter said after dinner drinks and dessert was on the house, so we each got a glass of 20 year old port, and he chose for us a chocolate carmel pecan cake and a New York cheesecake covered in fresh fruits and berries. Devine!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:21 am

So after dinner, it was off to the Empire state building to see the New York night lights.

We did the skyride, the audio tour on the 86th floor, and went up to the 102 floor as well.

The perfect end to a perfect day. :D

Congruous
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Congruous » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Looks like a great time!
"Are there no more arrows left?"

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by 52FM » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Were you close to Ground Zero? How was the weather? I'm glad you took some time out for yourself after all you went through with the estate.

Thanks for posting the pictures - it really gives a flavor of authentic NY (I've never been there except to drive through, but it has a lot of the same atmosphere as Chicago I imagine.)

Now the next stop on your "see the world" tour is sunny Mexico!

Ithildriel - International Jet Setter!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by I65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm not sure how far we were from ground zero. Neither of us had a desire to go this time around...it would have been too sad, and this was about being happy.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, poor quality as they were. It really was the most fabulous day of my life, and I don't expect that it will ever be topped. From the time I woke up, until the time I went to bed, I indulged myself in everything that my heart desired, and thanked Gpa several times for providing me the means to not have to worry about the financial aspect of spoiling myself for the day. :D

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#11 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Looked like an awesome time Ith... :D

Im going to Atlanta first week of October for a conference..lol :roll:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by 52FM » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am

"It really was the most fabulous day of my life, and I don't expect that it will ever be topped."

What a wonderful feeling!

It makes me recall a line from the movie "Hello Dolly", where after a great day in New York one of the characters says: "Even if I should be a ditch digger for the rest of my life, I will be a ditch digger who had a wonderful day!"

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by I65 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:18 pm

52FM wrote:"It really was the most fabulous day of my life, and I don't expect that it will ever be topped."

What a wonderful feeling!

It makes me recall a line from the movie "Hello Dolly", where after a great day in New York one of the characters says: "Even if I should be a ditch digger for the rest of my life, I will be a ditch digger who had a wonderful day!"
I told my friend as we were eating our $700 meal, if I walk out that door and get hit by a taxi, I will die happy. :lol:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#14 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:39 am

We had a great weekend in Wisconsin with our two youngest children (I'll write about that later in another thread - don't mnean to hijack this one.)

It's just that I thought of Ith's day in NY during the weekend as I realized how rare such wonderful days can be.

Ith - I wish you many many more such days as you had in New York - even if they just happen in your own backyard!