Being a sports fan can be painful

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

Being a sports fan can be painful

#1 Post by Congruous » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:03 pm

I attended the University of Georgia. I'm not the biggest football fan, but I do follow the games and carefully watch the scores.

Going into this season, I knew we didn't have a real good team...not a bad team, but a team with some obvious weaknesses. Our defense was adequate, but we lacked a proven quarterback and our offense was iffy.

Yesterday, we played the University of Tennessee and got beat 51-33. Everything about this game overthrew all my assumptions about the UGA team. Based on what I thought I knew, I guessed that if UGA was to win the game, the score would be something like 7-6 or 10-7, and if UT was to win, it would be by maybe 14-7 or 21-7.

Boy, was I wrong.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:36 am

But the best thing about college football is the turnover in the team so often. As long as the school has a tradition and a decent chance at recruiting, fortunes can change quickly.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Gosh, we got beat again, this time by Vanderbilt. I guess the state of Tennessee has it in for us this season.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am

I've been an Oakland Raider fan ever since Jim Plunkett and Marcus Allen were on the team... and Im forever grateful for the Superbowl victory agains the Redskins in 1984..

Never have I felt such pain watching the team as I do this season.. Al Davis has finally snapped and he needs to be euthenized because we know he's still trying to coach that team from the owner's office. I never believed it when the Raiders coaches would say that he never did...

In any event.. after seeing tonite's debauchle...and the team becoming 0-5.. I can just hope the team bounces back in some way and maybe burn Al Davis.. not in effigy.. but in person.

:roll: :twisted:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:58 am

I almost forgot how painful being a sports fan can be. The Brazilian Grand Prix yesterday gutted me.

Doesn't Georgia have an important game next weekend? Good Luck to them.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:46 pm

Yeah, we play Florida. It could get ugly. We just barely beat Mississippi State on Saturday.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:59 pm

I saw Paula Deen from the Food Network talking about the upcoming game. She's definitely a Georgia fan.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Congruous » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:48 pm

All I can say is please don't think people down here are like her. She is a great cook, but her personality makes me want to jump off a building.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:19 pm

I know people there don't act like that. I actually went to The Lady & Sons several years ago on a school trip, and i don't remember her being that loud,etc back then. Of course this was way before she became a Food Network personality. I think she overdoes it now.
She did look cute in that Georgia Jersey though.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Congruous » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:45 pm

Okay, check this out. Last night I was out having dinner with friends (we were actually eating before going to a high school football game). One of the women said, "What's happened to your Dogs (UGA)?" I told her that I was pretty sure that UGA would not win another game this season.

So what happens? UGA goes down to Auburn (a very good team) and wins with ease. I can't explain it. Sure, I'm as happy as a pig in slop, but I can't explain it.