Maintaining internet privacy, thoughts?

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Pockets
Suntory Time

Maintaining internet privacy, thoughts?

#1 Post by Pockets » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:07 pm

From a few other threads, some worries have been expressed regarding maintaining ones anonymity on the internet. And I thought that it might be helpful to all if we our collective experiences and observations to come up with some guidelines to keeping our internet lives from crossing over to real life. I've been a member of about 20 message boards over a period of five years and I've seen some pranks and whatnot being pulling on board members.

Things not to do:
1. Sign up on a message board using a school or work email address. Or an email address that makes it easy for someone to figure out your full name. However, if you already have, it's easy to change your email to one less vulnerable in your user settings.

2. Post pictures of your car with the license plates showing.

3. Being specific about where and when you've gone to high school or college.

4. Being specific about where you work.

5. Have a completely different user name for each message board signed up for.

6. Pick internet fights. When a bunch of bored computer savvy kids get involved, they can Google up a storm about anyone.

7. If you're a young attractive woman, don't post pictures of yourself or call undue attention to yourself.

8. Avoid sites like MySpace.

9. Think very hard before you post any picture. Once it's out there, it can be viewed and saved by anyone.

I would liken the internet to walking around NYC. If you use a little commonsense, it's a very safe place to be. Not only that, there are so many millions of people in the internet community, that for the most part your own story is not that special or exciting and you will be left in peace. And it's amazing what people will put in their online blogs in such a relaxed and open manner.

More thoughts anyone?