Feeling old

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Feeling old

#1 Post by 52FM » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am

Sometimes it just hits me – and it really has the last few weeks – and then really bad last night. Kids keep you young – but they also define how much time has past and how quickly.

We broke down and got a HiDef TV and it was delivered last week. It took a while to get it set up right, but it’s really a dramatic difference. Even our old video tapes look much better on it. And so my wife and I have been watching many of them.

Now of course it’s been a long time since they were little. In fact, it’s been a long time for a long time now (if that makes sense). But as we watched a tape of my oldest son’s eighth grade graduation, it really hit me hard that it’s been a long time since that seemingly recent event. Over ten years. My wife’s late brother was in the tape of the party we had. He’s been gone nine years this week. I just remember how year after year we’d have several events with our kids – science fairs, concerts they played or sang in, sporting events, religious ceremonies, graduations. Now they are all in college or beyond. I don’t even have any teenage children anymore.

So I’ve been feeling this empty nest thing for a while – and of course that’s a major driver in my whole quest for settlement in my life. And now one more major thing has hit home. My oldest son is moving out – getting an apartment with his girlfriend.

Now I need to say this- I’m ecstatic that their relationship progressed this far – and in less than a year. Last year at this time I worried he’d ever have a serious relationship because I know my wife’s and my relationship impacted him negatively more than the other two children. But we’ve both been telling him what our mistakes were and that he can learn from them and grow with her. He is ready to take that next step – and I’m happy for him. And feeling like another page has turned. And feeling a sort of urgency to move on myself. And I have to control that urge because it will be counterproductive to achieving what I want.

As Paul Simon wrote and sang:
Time hurries on
And the leaves that are green
Turn to brown
And they wither in the wind
And they crumble in your hand.

OK – I meant to write much more about how I’ve been feeling but it’s pointless. I just want to close with the admission that I’ve wanted to share this and more for a while, and I chose today to do it for a special reason. If you’re lurking – I’m thinking of you today, Ith. I hope it’s a happy & special day for you! :D

Pockets
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pockets » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Congrats on getting a hidef tv! I've love one, but I fear that my household is too cheap to ever splurge on one. I'm still sad about my Sony Trinitron tv dying two years ago.

What makes me feel old is watching people with their Blackberries texting their friends. My thumbs are not that dexterous. Fortunately, my boyfriend hates even cellphones, so our household is very "old school" in atmosphere. I'm starting to get a few white hairs, but I know a few guy in their late twenties who are already greying out. Overall though, I feel timeless most of the time, in my mind, I'm just some average adult.

I think that it's great that you sad to see your kids growing up... I'm glad that you've enjoyed raising them. :)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Hang in there 52FM!!! I know what you mean about watching those home videos and it seems the people just keep getting younger and younger while we get older! :o

I'm not getting a HD tv for some time. I just bought a Sony Trinitron 27" SD tv which has a digital antenna input. In the meantime tv now looks much better than it did with the old tv that died.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Welcome to the world of HDTV. I've had one for about 8 months now...it's great. The TV will really kick in when you get HD service (if you haven't already). Watching LiT on it is just awesome. Fills the screen and I'm just totally entranced by its beauty and realism.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pockets » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 am

Pitman, you have an HDTV? You're such a baller! lol

I know they are wonderful, but the frugality instilled in me by my mother just won't let me spend that kind of money on a tv set. I'd have to win Powerball in order to consider a purchase like that. *sigh*

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:06 am

eBay had a sony HDTV (32 inches) for $520.

they are getting incredibly cheap! i don't have one either, but I really want one.
eBay is the way to go

i can't wait to play my playstation on an HDTV *drools*

Pockets
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Pockets » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 pm

jml98 wrote:eBay had a sony HDTV (32 inches) for $520.
Was that including shipping? Still, any purchase over a few hundred dollars is a significant one. Especially since we refuse to use credit cards to buy anything with.

I <3 eBay though. I've bought a lot of good used items there. I've had about a 98% success rate and even with a few disappointments, I'm still way ahead of the game value wise.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pitman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Yes Pockets my place is a virtual cinema...50" HD widescreen, full 5.1 surround sound Polk Audio speaker system (can do 7.1) with subwoofer. I can make the place rumble!! My neighbours love me. I'm a movie fanatic you could say. :)

Pockets
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Pockets » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:43 pm

What about inviting your Charlotte and her friends over for a movie fest? Maybe they could be in charge of the food. 8)

Pitman
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Pitman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:19 pm

There's a potential other Charlotte in the mix....but too early to tell. Maybe i'll post an update on the other thread sometime..

:D

Pockets
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Pockets » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:47 pm

I don't mean to hijack 52FM's thread, but I just wanted to point out that having a group event at your place is the best and most comfortable way for a potential Charlotte to get to see your place and check out your lifestyle.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#12 Post by Suntory » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 am

What with all this dating and movie watching on HDTVs and having fun is anyone still feeling old?!
I'm drooling over Pitman's setup! I gotta have something like that someday!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Pockets » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:23 pm

One of my high school classmates passed away Memorial Day weekend in his sleep at the age of 49. Now I feel old... but on the other hand, my boyfriend's grandparents are 90. Maintain a healthy lifestyle everyone!!!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Pockets » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Last week, my boyfriend and I drove out to Michigan to attend the funeral of his 90 year old grandfather. He led an incredibly full life. He grew up on a farm with horses pulling the plows. He experienced WWII and the Great Depression. When he and his wife were not able to have children of their own, they adopted three babies. They never lived extravagantly and with wise investments provided very well for their children and grandchildren. They also gave back to their communities and also donated enough money to a local university to build a new campus building.

Anyway, I feel much younger, as I now feel more at the halfway point in my life.

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#15 Post by Ithildriel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 am

Pockets wrote:Last week, my boyfriend and I drove out to Michigan to attend the funeral of his 90 year old grandfather. He led an incredibly full life. He grew up on a farm with horses pulling the plows. He experienced WWII and the Great Depression. When he and his wife were not able to have children of their own, they adopted three babies. They never lived extravagantly and with wise investments provided very well for their children and grandchildren. They also gave back to their communities and also donated enough money to a local university to build a new campus building.

Anyway, I feel much younger, as I now feel more at the halfway point in my life.
I'm sorry for your boyfriends loss. You did a nice job of honoring his grandfather here.

How was the weather in Michigan? I'm heading out there July 5th.