I hate myspace

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Bob_san
Site Admin

I hate myspace

#1 Post by Bob_san » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 pm

How many people don't like myspace and don't even bother to get a login to view content on it? Seriously. :twisted:

Congruous
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Congruous » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:55 pm

I can't say that I've ever been to MySpace or Facebook. Maybe if I was a little younger I'd have more interest in that sort of thing.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by Tombo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I can't make head nor tail of Myspace,though my son is on it.

I'm on Facebook,though (Tomas Fitzpatrick if anyone's interested :) ) but only relatively recently...it seems more of a 'let's see how many virtual friends I can collect' tool than anything really useful,which is a little disappointing.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bob_san » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:09 pm

The thing is you can use myspace for two things. One is to post your own site/content. The other is to be able to see other people's content. You can see their frontpage without but then when you want to see something it asks you to register. So I don't bother with registering just to see content. I would rather go to a regular website.

Yes there are other personal/professional/social networking sites out there which are much more worthwhile. I use Linkedin for professional stuff but in order to keep it quality I only link to people I know not just anyone to get as many as possible which is ridiculous. Quality over quantity!

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#5 Post by Ithildriel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:24 pm

Yes, I have an account to view content with. I'm a geek. :cry:

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:46 am

One day I will destroy MySpace, Facebook, and every other social networking site. Haven't worked the details out yet, though. I'm looking for like... an accomplice. :wink:

Seriously though, I just don't understand how some people live 'through' their facebook accounts, or otherwise. I have offered counselling to a few of my friends and co-workers, but they insisted I join the club and get an account, too (I haven't).
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#7 Post by TokyoGirl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:42 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:One day I will destroy MySpace, Facebook, and every other social networking site. Haven't worked the details out yet, though. I'm looking for like... an accomplice. :wink:

Seriously though, I just don't understand how some people live 'through' their facebook accounts, or otherwise. I have offered counselling to a few of my friends and co-workers, but they insisted I join the club and get an account, too (I haven't).
I'm in :D

Seriously I hate those sites :x
She's got the moves to rule the world...

hannidan
Tokyo Insomniac

#8 Post by hannidan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Now, if we could just get all those myspace/facebook people to watch Lost in Translation, the world would be a better place.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#9 Post by Tombo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:41 am

hannidan wrote:Now, if we could just get all those myspace/facebook people to watch Lost in Translation, the world would be a better place.
Now there's an idea!

andymaq
Traveler

#10 Post by andymaq » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:11 am

I have a MySpace account but it's only to promote my own music! :D I used to have a Bebo account but I deleted it purely on that reason that people just see these sites as a game of how many "friends" they can have! For example:

"Oh hey that guy said "excuse me" to me at that party last week, I'll add him!"

:roll:
Lip them!

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#11 Post by burgundy » Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Yeah, I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook and Myspace.

I'm not into the compulsive friend-adding, or the pointless status updates but I have to admit that having a Facebook page allowed me to reconnect with two old friends -- real friends! I hadn't seen these people in 15 years so it was really great.
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#12 Post by Pitman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:52 am

Hey Burgundy..

Yep, we are on the same page with regards to Facebook or MySpace. I don't have a ton of friends added. And I'm hoping that some old friends will reconnect with me by looking me up.

Dupont Odeon
Sleepless in Tokyo

#13 Post by Dupont Odeon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:07 pm

I have never, nor will I ever, have a social network page. No myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. It just seems so indulgently self-centered and serves to foster superficial relationships. Also, I'm a very private person and have no desire to have the rest of the world know anything about me that I don't want it to.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bob_san » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:12 am

Dupont I certainly understand and respect your opinion and views on that. However I have to say while I initially kind of felt the same, I have to admit perhaps a little embarrased that I have gotten into the Facebook thing. I was invited by a friend and I ridiculed him mercilessly for being on it! Then some months later I thought ok Ill join and see what he has posted. So I did and he ridiculed me for having only one friend on there but at the time I didn't care cause I just wanted to see what he was up to! (ridicule as in two good friend busting chops!)

Well it seems some months later and over time a lot of my other friends and family went on there and found me. So now I am linked to about 40 or so people. In the end it's really what you end up making of it. In other words while some people may over share and broadcast a lot of minutia you are not interested in, it doesn't mean you have to. And in fact the way Facebook is setup now you can choose to drop a friend's newsfeed so instead you can view their profile when you want to or ignore them. Also you have to set the limits of what you want to use it for. Some people like me limit who I link to to just close friends and family. Other people link to everyone under the sun.

I tend to post no more than one or two posts a day and usually it's a link to some story or video I found interesting and want to share or maybe some new photos I have taken. I am interested in keeping up with friends and members of my family as they travel and post photos. Also by being able to comment on other people posts it's like getting into a mini-forum discussion and it can be fun. For my own page and content I set all the privacy settings to control who can actually see my stuff so all that can be tightly controlled. I also haven't posted more than a few personal photos, the rest are of other people or places, travel stuff etc.