Personal stuff and the site

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Bob_san
Site Admin

Personal stuff and the site

#1 Post by Bob_san » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:51 am

Hi,

I haven't been to the site or had time to read it or add new members since late August or early September. After that I have been dealing with personal extended illnesses as well as with my family. In addition to job issues like recently being laid off.

I'm going to take time this week to see what people have been posting since September. I see there was no simulview this year for the Anniversary in late Sept. Ah well.

I just added 4 new members. Currently registration is enabled however once there are 10 to 20 spam registrations I will close it again as I use those to add new people.

Hope you all are doing OK out there! Tell us what's happening?!

And oh yea - it's almost 2am and I am still awake!!! :) :shock:

Bob_san

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 am

hi bob, sorry to hear things haven't been great for you recently. It's good that we've got new members continuing to join though! As for me, I finally took the plunge in September, walked out on my job and I'm now a student studying English Literature and Creative Writing! Who knows, in a couple of years I could even be teaching English in Japan...now that would be something!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:37 am

Holy cow! I guess that means no more business trips to Japan or anywhere huh?! Good luck with your classes. Hopefully by the time you are ready to teach English in Japan, the market for that will have picked up. Either earlier in the year or last year I was reading about it and apparently things weren't going so well for that there, at least in Tokyo.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by samwright8380 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm

thanks! theres always the opportunity to get a cheap ticket from somebody who still works for the airline, but right now i'm working as a photographer for a couple of nightclubs to fund myself, so I can't spare the time.

i've been keeping an eye on the market for a few years now, and it's never been worse. the best days have certainly been and gone for english teaching there. not to mention the competition for JET seems to be on a par with nasa.

long term, over the next few decades i think japan will have to open it's doors to larger immigration. it's not so much a greying population they have, but grey with a layer of dust on top....

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#5 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 am

I'm still here, just been super busy with work and life and it ended up that I had no free weekends in September and most of October to try and organize an anniversary simul-view.

Still plan to get in on the chapter by chapter stuff eventually, but at this rate they'll be finished by the time I even get to the opening credits.

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#6 Post by Luigi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm still awake. This time in Sweden. Funny. When I registered here back in 2004 I was living in Brazil. From the second half of 2004 until July 2009 I have been in England. Now I'm in Sweden. Three countries, two continents, one website: weareawake.org :wink:

Bob_san
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bob_san » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm

LuigiBertolucci wrote:..... Now I'm in Sweden. Three countries, two continents, one website: weareawake.org :wink:
That's awesome! What are you up to these days?!

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#8 Post by Luigi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Lots of things happened since 2004. I got married, my daughter is now 1 year and two months. I guess my life has been upgraded, I'm now a family man! :)

Today I've watched LIT again after probably 4 years and it's still an awesome movie. One of my favourite scenes is the one in the elevator, when they say goodbye to each other and Bob misses his floor.

After all these years LIT is still one of my top three movies, the other 2 being Mulholland Drive and the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man, with Christopher Lee.

Hopefully everything's getting better for you too!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bob_san » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am

LuigiBertolucci wrote:Lots of things happened since 2004. I got married, my daughter is now 1 year and two months. I guess my life has been upgraded, I'm now a family man! :)
Excellent, congrats! My daughter is now 2 3/4's years old. Our life as we knew it is gone, but now in a way we have an even better one, and they learn to walk, and talk and are some of the most interesting people we will ever meet! :D

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

Re:

#10 Post by redleader74 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Bob_san wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am
LuigiBertolucci wrote:Lots of things happened since 2004. I got married, my daughter is now 1 year and two months. I guess my life has been upgraded, I'm now a family man! :)
Excellent, congrats! My daughter is now 2 3/4's years old. Our life as we knew it is gone, but now in a way we have an even better one, and they learn to walk, and talk and are some of the most interesting people we will ever meet! :D
Hey there, I know this thread is ancient, but I was perusing the site and saw this thread about having kids. I am reminded of the scene where Bob and Charlotte are laying in bed and Bob tells Charlote, "it gets a whole lot more complicated with kids....it's the scariest day of your life the day the first one is born, your life, as you know it, is gone, never to return...." Everytime this scene came on I would thank my lucky stars I don't have kids nor would I ever have kids and I could completely sense that fear (and this is just a line from a movie!). Well, guess what, our daughter is now 6 MONTHS OLD! Ha ha ha....how things change. Bob was right though, it was absolutely horrifying! But I remember his next line in that scene, "...but they learn to walk and learn to talk and they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life..." While I've only been to Japan twice so far and a baby puts a wrench into just about everything, we are going to try our utmost to go back this year and I'm perfectly OK with this being a more "family" oriented trip and not filled with the kind of shenanigans Bob and Charlotte get into!
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。