Japanese music

Non-LIT specific topics about Japan and Asia - culture, customs, food, people, art, film etc.
LostCalls
Lounge Singer

Japanese music

#1 Post by LostCalls » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:17 pm

For the past couple of years, I've been listening to Japanese artist Shiina Ringo and the band in which she sings, Tokyo Jihen. There's a great forum for their music and related topics here: http://forums.electricmole.net/index.php

I'll occasionally listen to Pizzicato 5 albums or the odd 80s track from Noriyuki Makihara. Then there's the Musement CD "Random Access Melody" that I bought at the HMV in Shibuya when I was in Tokyo three years ago.

Does anyone else know these groups/artists or have other Japanese language music that he or she would like to tout?

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#2 Post by Suntory » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:12 am

I know the Pizzicato 5. I have listened to a bit of their music but I really only
like the song that Beavis and Butthead played on their show back in the...
well whenever it was!

I googled it, here it is: Twiggy Twiggy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx-UEi_low

There's your intersection of crass American pop culture with Japanese Pop!

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by LostCalls » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:55 am

Ah, yes. I know Pizzicato 5; Twiggy is not my favorite song of theirs though.

But thank you for the reply!

streetwaves
Tourist

#4 Post by streetwaves » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:14 am

Japan has some pretty interesting artists. The one that comes to my mind first is Boredoms - I saw them at 88Boadrum a few years back, which was a massive drumming show with 88 drummers (including the Boredoms) in LA. Really a great group.

They also have quite a bit of interesting avant-garde/noise music. Les Rallizes Dénudés are worth checking out. Oh, and Melt-Banana!

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by LostCalls » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks very much, streetwaves--and welcome to the group here! I will check out those groups you mentioned. (Melt Banana I know, but the others I do not.)